[Trillian-users] One Node, One Proc Per Node Jobs

James Pringle jpringle at unh.edu
Tue Dec 6 15:38:03 EST 2016

Jimmy --

     Let me push back a little -- it is fine to run 1 core/node if there is
some good reason. My experience with talking to some of the chemist is that
they were not at all IO bound or memory bound, and they could easily get 12
to 14 jobs per node with good efficiency. There are jobs queued and waiting
to run now, while 14 nodes have been running with 1 core for 17 or 72
hours.

     I do not think it is that hard to run multiple jobs per node, and if
there is no reason not to, it should be done.

     I agree, there are a whole lot of legitimate reasons for 1 core jobs.
However, in my experience, when I have asked people, their jobs were often
(not always!) able to be run together on a single core.

Jamie