[Nessc] Cosmic Cafe Opportunity ..

Nathan Schwadron nschwadron at guero.sr.unh.edu
Sat Sep 10 13:10:59 EDT 2011

Hi All

Below is an EPO opportunity that I have been asked to distribute to the community.

Cheers

Nathan

---------

Greetings!
This fall, NOVA is premiering a new 4-part series, The Fabric of the Cosmos, based on Brian Greene's book of the same name. In conjunction with this series, the Society of Physics Students (SPS) is partnering with NOVA in an effort to encourage groups all around the country to host cosmic-themed science cafés, or Cosmic Cafés. I am writing because we are looking for enthusiastic, engaging scientists to be a part of these cafes.
Science cafés are live—and lively—events that take place in casual settings such as pubs and coffeehouses, are open to everyone, and feature an engaging conversation with a scientist about a particular topic.

There are many different models for science cafes, but most Cosmic Cafés will include a brief welcome by the host, a 2-3 minute clip from The Fabric of the Cosmos, a short (~15 minute) introduction to the topic by a scientist, and then a moderated discussion. While we are calling these "Cosmic Cafés", the scientist and moderator can select a more focused topic together.

We are currently compiling a list of physicists from across the country that are willing to participate in a Cosmic Café this fall (most will be in October and November). This list will be made available to potential hosts via the websitesciencecafes.org, produced by the WGBH Science Unit in association with Sigma Xi.

If you are interested in participating in a Cosmic Café, please complete the form located at
www.spsnational.org/partnerships/fabric-of-the-cosmos/science_cafes.htm<http://www.spsnational.org/partnerships/fabric-of-the-cosmos/science_cafes.htm> .

Thank you, and please contact me if you have any questions. In addition, if you know of other engaging scientists that might be interested, please pass along this invitation.

Sincerely,

Kendra Redmond
SPS Program Coordinator & Assistant Editor
American Insitute of Physics
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 21043
(301) 209-3047