[Isocops] Moving to SwRI

fair-play at comcast.net fair-play at comcast.net
Thu Jun 17 22:05:02 EDT 2010

Roland,

We didn't get as far as starting a list - you've made a great start!

Some thoughts on your list:

1. Although it's up to Nathan, I think we should get the SwRI machines to the point where they can do full data reduction and also get the web site up and running there. It would be a good test to see if we can use those machines as the primary. My motivation: major upgrades in the AC and perhaps UPS are supposed to start in the machine room at UNH in the late summer to fall timeframe. I expect that there will be times when the machines may have to be shut down gracefully (and not so gracefully). If there are any problems/accidents during construction we may find it easier to run at SwRI for a bit.

2. Your questions about the hardware configuration at SwRI are all good. By the way, I was able to mount one of the RAID partitions so it looks like the RAID is at least present.

3. Thanks for pointing me to those documents. I think it would be very helpful for RCC to have an updated version of this document. The time we spend in updating it will probably be well spent in fewer hassles as we move machines to UNH.

4. I think your idea of moving off Geoff's account and to some general account for processing is the way to go.

5. Same with your suggestions for the processing tree and release.

6. We will have to get SwRI to allow access from UNH so the exercise of allowing access from somewhere other than ena will be good practice.

7. I did a scan through the code and found these cases where host names are hard-coded:

misc_update.sh
nightly.sh
ssr_blk_update.sh
sftp_driver.sh
grab-data.sh (testing)
misc_cleanup.sh

Host names are also mentioned in id-base and id-leops. In addition, there are a few places where mail is sent to either Geoff or ibexops. I'm certain Geoff will want to continue to receive mail but we may want to replace the hardcoded mail addresses with an environment variable or two.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Ken