[Isocops] Moving to SwRI

Joe Peterson joe at boulder.swri.edu
Thu Jun 17 22:25:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 20:05,  <fair-play at comcast.net> wrote:
> Roland,
> We didn't get as far as starting a list - you've made a great start!
> Some thoughts on your list:
> 1. Although it's up to Nathan, I think we should get the SwRI machines to
> the point where they can do full data reduction and also get the web site up
> and running there.

I agree.

> 2. Your questions about the hardware configuration at SwRI are all good.  By
> the way, I was able to mount one of the RAID partitions so it looks like the
> RAID is at least present.

I think it is a good point that we need to asses what the HW is at
SwRI and if it is on-par with what is at BU, or at least what is
required to do the job.  Also, the state of the disks needs to be
determined to make sure there are no unreliabilities.

> 4. I think your idea of moving off Geoff's account and to some general
> account for processing is the way to go.

Absolutely.  For the New Horizons SOC, I have an account called "soc"
that is used for all official pipeline processing.  My "joe" account
is used for my testing offline (any user on the machine can have there
"own pipeline" for testing purposes).

> 6. We will have to get SwRI to allow access from UNH so the exercise of
> allowing access from somewhere other than ena will be good practice.

The SwRI machines will need to be accessible in general, while
retaining security.  In the Boulder SOC, we keep a "public" machine
(which is also the data/wiki webserver) on the outside of the
firewall, whereas the processing machine is inside, but can be ssh'd
to from the public server.

> Host names are also mentioned in id-base and id-leops.  In addition, there
> are a few places where mail is sent to either Geoff or ibexops.  I'm certain
> Geoff will want to continue to receive mail but we may want to replace the
> hardcoded mail addresses with an environment variable or two.
> I'm sure I'll think of more...

Yes.  Setting up mail accounts that are not connected to a person are
a good idea, and those aliases can point to whomever should get those
emails.

-Joe

--
Joe Peterson                            Southwest Research Institute
Mission Operations                      Department of Space Operations