[HubbardBrookCOS] LTER proposal for discussion at Oct 7 meeting

Gary Lovett lovettg at caryinstitute.org
Fri Sep 25 16:43:59 EDT 2015

Dear HB COS colleagues:

I have attached an early draft of the LTER proposal prepared by me and
Peter with contributions by the writing team and several other
individuals.  This draft will be the main subject of discussion at the Oct
7 COS meeting, so please read it prior to the meeting.

*Note on grad students and postdocs*:  We have not automatically send this
to all grad students and postdocs, but they are welcome to attend the Oct.
7 meeting.  If they plan to come, you can forward a copy of this message to
them with the draft proposal.

Please RSVP to the meeting invitation at this link if you plan to attend:
https://goo.gl/wP2Q2K.  This goes for your students and postdocs also!

Several points to keep in mind while reading the draft:

1)       We know this is a rough draft and needs editing, smoothing, and
shortening.  We are not primarily interested in editorial comments on this
version (but if you feel compelled, send them to me and I would be happy to
look at them for preparing the next draft.)  We would like the discussion
to focus on content .

2)      Here are some questions to keep in mind while you are reading:

·         Not everything we do in the project can be in the proposal due to
space limitations.  But does the balance in the proposal reflect the
balance of effort in the project?

·         The LTER RFP (http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2015/nsf15596/nsf15596.pdf
) emphasizes conceptual models.  Do we have enough in the proposal and are
they appropriate?  Should we develop others?

·         The RFP also emphasizes the link between long-term data and new
questions.  Does this come through in the proposal?  How can we beef that
up?

·         Figure 1 shows linkages between vegetation, biogeochemistry,
hydrology and food webs.  Are we doing enough of this linkage and does it
come through in the proposal?

·         Much of the new research proposed is “We will continue measuring
X...”  Long-term measurements are what we do, but this will not be
sufficient.  We have to emphasize new measurements or analyses.  If you
wrote one of these sections, consider how to do

that.

·         Quantitative models are discussed within each section.  Should
there be one larger section on models that explains their purposes, or is
it better to keep them associated with the individual sections of the
proposal?

·         Some sections have questions and others have hypotheses.  We need
to be consistent.  Which is better?

If you will not be at the Oct 7 meeting but have comments or suggestions on
the content of the draft, please send them to me.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you on Oct. 7.

Gary

*Gary M. Lovett*

Senior Scientist

Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies