[HubbardBrook] Hubbard Brook LTER proposal - a call for participation

Peter Groffman groffmanp at caryinstitute.org
Tue Jun 1 13:29:10 EDT 2021

Dear Hubbard Brook Community,

We are happy to announce a “request for participation” in the Hubbard Brook
Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) renewal proposal. As part of the NSF
LTER program, we are required to submit new proposals every six years. The
next one is due in March 2022. We have been working on this proposal as a
group since January of 2021 and a writing team has been working to
synthesize our group discussions. We have exchanged ideas about novel and
surprising findings that have emerged from our long-term research that
motivate questions that can only be addressed with further long-term
research. We have discussed the mix of activities: monitoring, experiments,
modeling, and sampling campaigns, that we might pursue to address these
questions. And we have articulated overarching, cross-cutting questions to
drive synthesis and integration questions across different components of
the project.

Now we are asking for specific ideas for how individuals would like to
participate in the new Hubbard Brook LTER proposal and research. What
ongoing or new activities would you like to continue? How much would this
cost? We are NOT asking for lengthy, detailed proposals and budgets. Rather
we are hoping for 1 -2 pages to describe the activities you are proposing,
some justification for these activities, and a rough six year budget (March
2023 – February 2029). Please send your 1-2 pages to Peter and Pam by June
15, 2021.

Please find attached some details about our conceptual model, research
themes, and overarching questions that we hope you will keep in mind the
following as you prepare your 1-2 pages. Proposals that include components
of the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study described in the attached document are
more likely to be selected for inclusion in the new LTER proposal.
Submission does not guarantee that your proposed ideas will be in the new
LTER proposal, but we will do our best to be as inclusive as possible.

*Again, please send your 1-2 pages to Peter and Pam by June 15, 2021.*

Thanks!

Peter Groffman and Pam Templer

Peter M. Groffman
Senior Research Fellow