[Crater-team] Simulations of particle-event population identified as albedo MIPs [was: Re: CRaTER mtg today]

Mark D Looper mark.d.looper at aero.org
Wed Jul 31 07:01:33 EDT 2019

Hello--

	Attached is a PPTX giving the results of some (relatively) quick, simplified simulations of the protons contributing to the population of particle events (large D6 energy deposit, D4 and D2 energy deposits consistent with a lower-energy proton traveling from D4 to D2) that have been identified as possibly being attributable to high-energy protons coming in the D6 end of the CRaTER telescope, i.e., from the lunar surface.  I find that there is a substantial response in this "channel" to the much more abundant GCR protons coming in from the sides, so that a careful background subtraction must be undertaken if we are to use this population of events for albedo studies.

	I'm sorry it has taken me three weeks to assemble this analysis; I've been trying to close out multiple overdue projects.  At this point I really need to do my best to get two papers written and submitted by the end of August if at all possible; I can return to this topic after then if needed.

	By the way, with regard to the AGU abstract I sent around -- I submitted it kind of late and it got stuck in our internal release-clearance procedures, and I get fired if I send it to AGU before it comes out the other end with a stamp of approval.  It was based on the abstract (with the same co-author list) that I submitted to the Applied Space Environments Conference in May, so as a fall-back I will simply submit that (already-cleared) abstract as a placeholder to AGU if the intended one does not get approved in time.

Sorry about the never-ending scramble--
--Mark Looper

Mark D. Looper
Space Sciences Department