[Crater-team] Status of follow-up on last week's discussion [was: Re: CRaTER mtg today]

Mark D Looper mark.d.looper at aero.org
Wed Jul 17 16:32:48 EDT 2019

Hello--

	Many thanks -- I see at least one big area where we were talking past each other last week.  I thought you were saying that proton _albedo_ resulted only or at least mostly from He and greater GCRs; what you actually said was that the proton albedo _increase_ with a wet surface layer only resulted from these.  This renders most of my comments in (3) moot; good, since that was the longest section!  I remain concerned about how the mostly-downward-aimed high-energy neutron fragments would scatter back upward in such a way as to produce the strongly collimated and energetic vertical beam of albedo protons that is evident in the difference between "Wet_Regolith_Albedo_Protons.pdf" and "Dry_Regolith_Albedo_Protons.pdf."  I also note the colorscale label, counts per (source particle) per MeV per degree; if the "per MeV" and "per degree" refer to the energy and angle of the albedo particles, as seems to be the case, then scaling the angular bins to be "per sr" would enhance near-normal colorscale values relative to near-horizon values.  This would probably flatten out the contours for the "Dry_Regolith" case so that they are nearly horizontal, i.e., isotropic, as in my "all processes" plot, "all_dry_3_1.png", but it would also even more strongly enhance the vertical collimation of the albedo proton beam in your "Wet_Regolith" case.  If you multiply out the "per (source particle)" part using your assumed GCR input fluxes and convert the albedo to physical flux units per (m^2 sr sec MeV), accounting for the cosine factors as on slide 3 of "angular_normalization.pptx" dated October 3, 2018, then we will have a basis for quantitative comparison of the different sets of simulations with the observations.

	I'll keep working on (1) and (2).

Many thanks--
--Mark

Mark D. Looper