[Zaphod-Users] mpich/p4

Kai Germaschewski kai.germaschewski at unh.edu
Thu Nov 17 02:24:38 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Fekete, Balazs M. wrote:

> Regardless of compiling mpich with gcc or pgcc, the test C program works
> only if it is compiled and linked with pgcc (even when the mpich
> libraries were compiled with gcc, quite bizarre). I have to note that
> the test programs in the mpich library also fail using gcc only. The
> make in mpich has a testing mode, which compiles and links a whole bunch
> of test programs and runs them as well. Some of the test programs give
> exactly the same error during mpi_send and mpi_recieve what I am getting
> with my test programs.

Well, I couldn't claim to understand what you're seeing, but things seem
to be working fine here. I compiled an mpich/p4 version with gcc+ifort,
and the tests seem to work, as does the little fpi.f test. Maybe you can
email me your test code and I can see whether that works okay?

> I think, the solution lies in making sure that gcc can compile and link
> mpich codes. I wonder, if someone from Microway can be contacted to
> resolve this problem (unless someone in the zaphod user group knows the
> solution).

I don't know, but I compiled mpich with gcc many times and never had a
problem. Only mixing gcc and Portland compilers sometimes causes issues.

--Kai