[Zaphod-Users] mpich/p4

Fekete, Balazs M. balazs.fekete at unh.edu
Wed Nov 16 22:00:14 EST 2005

Hi,

As you may know, I am struggling to compile the GFDL model to use
mpich/p4 (aka ethernet) as opposed to mpich/gm (aka Myrinet), so I can
use the remaining ethernet nodes. The issue at hand are as follows:
- the GFDL code needs to be compiled with ifort (Intel FORTRAN)
- mpich/p4 only works with codes compiled with Portland Group Compilers

After spending my whole day compiling mpich, some test programs in C and
the GFDL model with different compiler options, I came to the following
conclusions.

I can compile the mpich library with (gcc+ifort) or (pgcc+pgcf77/f90).
The pgcc and ifort combination fails to link some of the executables in
the mpich distribution.

Regardless of compiling mpich with gcc or pgcc, the test C program works
only if it is compiled and linked with pgcc (even when the mpich
libraries were compiled with gcc, quite bizarre). I have to note that
the test programs in the mpich library also fail using gcc only. The
make in mpich has a testing mode, which compiles and links a whole bunch
of test programs and runs them as well. Some of the test programs give
exactly the same error during mpi_send and mpi_recieve what I am getting
with my test programs.

I tried to compile the GFDL code with ifort and link against the (gcc
+ifort) compiled mpich library. The resulting code hangs in mpi_send and
mpi_recieve calls. I also tried to compile with ifort but link with
pgf90, but it fails.

I think, the solution lies in making sure that gcc can compile and link
mpich codes. I wonder, if someone from Microway can be contacted to
resolve this problem (unless someone in the zaphod user group knows the
solution).

Balazs

P.S. I tried both the patched and unpatched mpich-1.2.7 library but it
did not make any difference (as Kai expected since the ethernet version
should be fairly standard).

Balazs M. Fekete                E-mail: balazs.fekete at unh.edu
Water Systems Analysis Group
Complex Systems Research Center
Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space
University of New Hampshire     Phone: (603) 8620270
Morse Hall, Durham NH 03824     Fax: (603) 8620587