[Trillian-users] One Node, One Proc Per Node Jobs

James Pringle jpringle at unh.edu
Tue Dec 6 12:42:01 EST 2016

Matt --

   You are right -- in general 1 core/node jobs are a very inefficient use
of trillian in general, and qstat is generally accurate in what it
displays. When I have been active on trillian, I have asked people to be
more considerate and efficient in their use of trillian. There are
instructions on how to start multiple jobs on a single node on the home
page.  I can give more pointers.

   The only time it makes sense to have 1 core per node jobs on trillian is
when the job is IO or memory bound. Even in that case, it is usually
inefficient to use trillian. Its cores are much slower than even a recent
laptop, and most of the undergraduate cluster machines on campus are faster
per-core.

   I think it is acceptable to ask running a bunch of 1 PE per node jobs if
they have a quantified need to run on trillian the way they are.

Jamie Pringle