[Shine-participants] NSF/AGS Update March 2020

Wiltberger, Michael J mwiltber at nsf.gov
Tue Mar 24 07:32:31 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We hope that you are doing well during this difficult period.

NSF staff are teleworking and we hope to provide the AGS community with uninterrupted service while the impacts of COVID-19 are being felt.  Please do not hesitate to contact us on regular issues related to the NSF proposal and review process.  However, NSF is deferring to institutional rules and regulations for how to deal with schedules, budgets, and other impacts of COVID-19.

I’m enclosing some information that may be of potential interest to you.

Stay safe and be well!
Anjuli

NSF notice on COVID-19:
The Foundation has issued Important Notice No 146<https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/issuances/in146.jsp> to the Community Regarding COVID-19. NSF has also issued additionalguidance on NSF’s implementation<https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/covid19/covid19_nsfombimplementation.pdf> of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Memorandum (M-20-17<https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/M-20-17.pdf>), entitled,Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) due to Loss of Operations. NSF has implemented flexibilities authorized by OMB from specific administrative, financial management and audit requirements contained in 2 CFR Part 200, Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards without compromising accountability requirements.

Questions about the policies described in the NSF Guidance should be directed to policy at nsf.gov<mailto:policy at nsf.gov>. NSF is working to update existing FAQs and other resources to reflect NSF’s new guidance and will keep staff and the community informed at:nsf.gov/coronavirus<http://www.nsf.gov/coronavirus>

Two Job Opportunities in AGS:
·        Permanent position<https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/557836400> in our NCAR & Facilities Section. This is open until April 6th.
·        IPA rotator<https://beta.nsf.gov/careers/openings/geo/ags/ags-19-001> position in the Physical and Dynamic Meteorology program. Preference will be given to CVs collected by April 10th.

Funding opportunities relevant to the AGS community:
·        DCL – Geoscience Opportunities for Leadership in Diversity – Expanding the Network (GOLD-EN)<https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2020/nsf20058/nsf20058.jsp?WT.mc_id=USNSF_25&WT.mc_ev=click>
·        Spectrum Innovation Initiative: National Center for Wireless Spectrum Research (SII-Center)<https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2020/nsf20557/nsf20557.htm?WT.mc_id=USNSF_25&WT.mc_ev=click>
·        EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvement Track 4: EPSCoR Research Fellows (RII Track-4)<https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2020/nsf20543/nsf20543.htm?WT.mc_id=USNSF_25&WT.mc_ev=click>

Resources on distance learning:
Many institutions have transitioned to distance learning for the remaining of the 2019/2020 academic calendar.  Our Geosciences program director for Education & Diversity shared resources available through the Science Education Resource Center (SERC) and the National Association of Geoscience Teachers (NAGT) that may be of useful to you during this time.  These can be accessed at: https://serc.carleton.edu/teachearth/teach_geo_online/index.html

Anjuli S. Bamzai, PhD

Division Director
Division of Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences (AGS)
Geosciences Directorate (GEO)
National Science Foundation (NSF)
2415 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria VA 22314