[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter January 2018

DE NOLFO, GEORGIA A. (GSFC-6720) georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov
Fri Feb 23 16:29:03 EST 2018

Dear Bernard,

Thank you for submitting your session proposals for the 2018 SHINE Workshop. I am happy to inform you that the SHINE Steering Committee has selected your session for inclusion in the Workshop program.   We were able to allot a one 1/2-day session.

Noé Lugaz and I  will also act as a Steering Committee member and help to provide guidance on the best ways to organize a successful SHINE workshop.  Over the years, the Steering Committee has identified a number of best practices for keeping SHINE sessions focused on discussion.  As you plan your session, please keep these best practices (listed below) in mind and reach out to I or other Steering Committee members with additional questions.

If you have any questions about the Workshop or scientific program, just let me know.

I look forward to seeing you in Florida!

Sincerely,
Georgia

Some best practices for SHINE session leaders:

--- Focusing on a small number of science questions that will generate discussion. Sessions that attempt to address too many questions often revert to AGU-like sessions, with a series of presentations rather than the interactive, back-and-forth discussion that can make SHINE sessions so productive.

--- Working with scene-setting speakers (two per half-day session) to ensure that their presentations stay under the time limit (~15 minutes) and that they set up the state of the field as it pertains to the focus questions of the session. That way the scene-setting talks help set up the discussion.

--- Accepting one or two slides from participants who want to present something, but not guaranteeing them that they will be able to present that material. Instead, showing participants' slides only if the slides become relevant to the evolving discussion of the session.  You may want to leave time at the end of the session to summarize the session as a group.

--- On the day after the session occurs, there will be time during the morning plenary session for you to give a 10-minute presentation on the ``Progress and Prospects'' of your session. For this presentation, it works best to give a synthesis of the interactive discussion that occurred in the session rather than a summary of separate points made during separate presentations. ``Progress and Prospects'' presentations that focus on this interactive discussion can be a very interesting and valuable part of the Workshop, but presentations that summarize the 1-2 slide presentations given by participants generally do not go over so well.