[Shine-participants] Coronal Prediction for the August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse

Pete Riley pete at predsci.com
Sun Aug 6 16:51:26 EDT 2017

The solar physics team at Predictive Science is once again predicting the
structure of the corona for the upcoming eclipse, which will occur on
August 21, 2012 .  This eclipse will be will be visible across the entire
contiguous United States, and will trace out a band, approximately 70 miles
wide across fourteen states, being first visible shortly after 10:15am PDT
at Oregon's Pacific coast, and finally finishing in Charleston, South
Carolina. Our preliminary prediction, which was posted on July 31st, can be
viewed at http://www.predsci.com/  in the "Latest News" section on the
right-hand side of the page.  The prediction will be updated during the
upcoming weeks, resulting a final prediction approximately one week before
the event.

Our model relies on 3-D, resistive, time-dependent magnetohydrodynamic
(MHD) equations to predict the state of the corona.  Photospheric magnetic
field data from the HMI instrument aboard SDO are used to specify the
boundary condition on the radial magnetic field.  This year, for the first
time, we are using a new Wave-Turbulence-Driven model to self-consistently
capture the large-scale propagation, reflection, and dissipation of wave
turbulence along closed coronal loops.   Such a model also allows us to
predict emission in extreme ultraviolet (EUV) wavelengths and X-rays, which
can be compared with solar observations from spacecraft such as SDO,
STEREO, and Hinode.  Additionally, we have increased the number of mesh
points used to 65 million, allowing us to capture even more spatial
structure. This work is supported by NASA, NSF,  and AFOSR, and
computations are supported by the Texas Advanced Computing Center at Austin
and the NASA Advanced Supercomputing division at Ames.  A direct link to
our prediction page is:

http://www.predsci.com/corona/aug2017eclipse/aug2017eclipse.html