[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter -- October 2016

DE NOLFO, GEORGIA A. (GSFC-6720) georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov
Tue Oct 11 13:12:00 EDT 2016

SHINE Newsletter, October, 2016

Dear SHINE Community,

With tremendous help from Umbe Cantu and Noé Lugaz, we have finalized the date and location for the 2017 SHINE Workshop.  The Workshop will be held at the Manoir Saint-Sauveur in Saint-Sauveur, QC, Canada from July 24-28 (student day July 23). See details below. We hope to see you there!

If there is an exciting problem or topic that you would like to see discussed at the meeting, please consider proposing a session (instructions given under item 3 below). Leading a session can be rewarding and fun, and the Workshop needs good session proposals in order to be a success.

Sincerely,
Georgia A. de Nolfo
SHINE Steering Committee Chair

——————————————————————————————————————-

Contents:

  1.  2017 SHINE Workshop
  2.  New SHINE Personnel
  3.  Call for Session Proposals for the 2017 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan. 15)
  4.  SHINE Anti-harassment policy

——————————————————————————————————————-

1. 2017 SHINE Workshop

The 2017 SHINE Workshop will be held at the Manoir Saint-Sauveur (http://manoir-saint-sauveur.com<http://manoir-saint-sauveur.com/>), in Saint-Sauveur, QC, Canada from July 24-28 (student day July 23). Manoir Saint-Sauveur is less than 45 miles from Montreal airport and downtown Montréal. Workshop and hotel registration information will be announced soon.

2.  New SHINE Personnel

After this past SHINE Workshop, one of the nine SHINE Steering Committee members rotated off the Committee: Marty Lee.  We’d like to thank Marty Lee for his excellent service on the Steering Committee these past three years.  Please join me in welcoming our newest SHINE Steering Committee member: Gregory Howes.  Gregory has been an active and enthusiastic member of SHINE and we are very fortunate to have him join our Steering Committee team over the next three years.

I would also like to welcome Samaiyah Farid as the new SHINE Student Representative.  Samaiyah will be joining Jimmy Juno in helping to organize the 2017 Student Day. Samaiyah replaces the outgoing Student Coordinator Doga Su Ozturk, who did a fantastic job organizing the Student Day at the 2016 Workshop.

Finally, we want to take this time to thank Ben Chandran for his dedication to SHINE as the Steering Committee Chair over the past three years.  Ben has done a wonderful job maintaining the quality of science and the prioritization for discussion-oriented sessions, even as the SHINE community continues to grow. I know his guidance will be missed! Please send recommendations and news items to the new Steering Committee Chair : Georgia de Nolfo (georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov<mailto:georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov>).

3. Call for Session Proposals for the 2017 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan. 15)

If there is a topic that you would like to see included in next year's Workshop, please consider proposing a session. Session proposals can be very brief (about one page), should include a list of questions that the session will focus on, and can be emailed to me at georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov<mailto:georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov>. More detailed guidelines for session organizers are included on the SHINE website, www.shinecon.org<http://www.shinecon.org/> (see the first link in the right sidebar of that web page). If you have an idea for a session but would like help organizing it, you can still submit a session proposal. If your proposed session goes forward, the Steering Committee will look for a co-organizer to work with you. The Steering Committee encourages the submission of inter-disciplinary proposals that connect more than one of the principle sub-disciplines represented at SHINE.

In addition to 2017 workshop session proposals, the Steering Committee would like to encourage the submission of proposals for a SHINE Working Group.  A Working Group would consist of 2-3 organizers who have an inter-disciplinary science topic that can be explored in 1-day sessions over 2-3 years. Members of the Working Group would help to organize and sustain the session through multiple years bringing continuity and growth to the identified science topic.  Proposals should identify inter-disciplinary topics and present a plan for exploring this topic over multiple years.

The deadline for submitting session proposals is January 15, 2017.

4. SHINE Anti-harassment policy

SHINE has implemented an anti-harassment policy.  This is not in response to any incident.  The Steering Committee feels that it is important for SHINE to state its policies on anti-harassment.  The details can be found at the bottom of  the SHINE Workshop home page.