[Shine-participants] Space Weather Special Issue “Sun to Earth: Heliospheric Remote Sensing Observations Applicable to Space Weather” – Final Announcement (First Deadline is Monday 07 March 2016)

mario.bisi at stfc.ac.uk mario.bisi at stfc.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 18:44:15 EST 2016

Apologies if you receive this more than once…

Dear Colleagues.

This is the final notice that we are soliciting statements of interest for contributions to a special issue in AGU’s Space Weather Journal (SWJ) focused on scientific aspects of remote sensing techniques that support improvements in understanding and predicting space weather.  The special issue will document scientific results of the Third Remote Sensing of the Inner Heliosphere and Space Weather Applications Workshop held in Morelia, Mexico, 20-24 October 2015, and we welcome non-workshop manuscripts related to inner heliosphere remote sensing of space weather, especially those emphasizing radio techniques.  The special issue will highlight: 1) Advances in heliospheric Sun to Earth remote-sensing techniques for space weather, and ancillary measurements; 2) ground-based observations of interplanetary scintillation (IPS) and radio polarisation; and 3) the recently-established space-weather service in Mexico (SCiESMEX) including the dedicated IPS array near Morelia, Mexico. See http://www.sciesmex.unam.mx/workshop2015/ for further information on the Morelia workshop.

The special issue will consist of original research papers on this common theme, which would benefit from being published together.  Manuscripts should clearly describe new space-weather-related science results derived from remotely-sensed observations or from model-data comparison.  All papers will be fully refereed according to AGU publication standards.  Dr. Mario M. Bisi, Dr. J. Americo Gonzalez-Esparza, Dr. Bernard V. Jackson, and Prof. Igor V. Chashei will act as Guest Editors and will assist the SWJ Editor, Dr. Barbara Giles, in seeking referees for the special issue.

The final deadline for submission of the statement of interest – consisting of title, preliminary author list, preliminary abstract, estimated number of pages, and names and E-Mail addresses of at least three suggestion referees – is Monday, 07 March 2016.  Please provide this information via E-Mail to Mario Bisi (Mario.Bisi [at] stfc.ac.uk) with the subject line: URGENT – Space Weather Remote Sensing Special Issue.  The Space Weather GEMS page (http://spaceweather-submit.agu.org/cgi-bin/main.plex) will open for submissions that have been coordinated with the Guest Editors on Friday 01 April 2016.  Completed manuscripts must be submitted via GEMS by Friday 01 July 2016.

If you have already sent us your statement of interest and have not received a response as yet, please note that we are in the process of reviewing them now.  We will respond soon.  However, if you sent it with a subject other than that requested above, please can you re-send to be sure of its successful receipt.

We will be strict with submission deadlines in order to accommodate an anticipated printing of the special issue by late Fall of 2016.  Papers that are delayed in submission or protracted review can appear individually in later issues of the journal.

Many thanks, best wishes, and we look forward to hearing from you soon,

Mario M. Bisi, J. Americo Gonzalez-Esparza, Bernard V. Jackson, and Igor V. Chashei (Guest Editors).

    I don't believe in mathematics.
                           --Albert Einstein
    Dr. Mario M. Bisi, MPhys (Hons, WALES), Ph.D. (WALES), FRAS, MInstP

    Space Weather Scientist (Senior Engineer Grade)

    RAL Space (R25 - 1.03)
    Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
    Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL)
    Harwell Oxford
    Oxfordshire
    OX11 0QX