[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter

Benjamin Chandran benjamin.chandran at unh.edu
Mon Nov 30 22:33:31 EST 2015

SHINE Newsletter, November, 2015

Contents:

1. Call for Session Proposals for the 2016 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan. 15)

2. New SHINE Personnel

1. Call for Session Proposals for the 2016 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan. 15)

If there is a topic that you would like to see included in next year's Workshop, please consider proposing a session. Session proposals can be very brief (about one page), should include a list of questions that the session will focus on, and can be emailed to me at benjamin.chandran at unh.edu. More detailed guidelines for session organizers are included on the SHINE website, www.shinecon.org (see the first link in the right sidebar of that web page).

The Steering Committee would particularly like to encourage the submission of inter-disciplinary proposals that connect more than one of the principle sub-disciplines represented at SHINE. Also, if you have an idea for a session but would like help organizing it, you can still submit a session proposal. If your proposed session goes forward, the Steering Committee will look for a co-organizer to work with you.

The deadline for submitting session proposals is January 15, 2016.

2. New SHINE Personnel

It is my great pleasure to announce that Dr. Georgia de Nolfo (NASA Goddard) has agreed to serve as the next Chair of the SHINE Steering Committee. Her term as Chair will begin part-way through the 2016 Workshop and will continue for three years. Georgia has just completed a three-year term on the Steering Committee and has also organized a number of sessions at past SHINE Workshops. She has been a great contributor to SHINE and will make a terrific Chair. Please join me in congratulating Georgia and thanking her for agreeing to take this on.

After this past SHINE Workshop, three of the nine SHINE Steering Committee members rotated off the Committee: Stuart Bale, Georgia de Nolfo, and Ming Zhang. Many thanks to Stuart, Georgia, and Ming for their service to SHINE. The Steering Committee is welcoming three new members: Eric Christian, Kelly Korreck, and Stephen White. All three have been active contributors to past workshops, and we're very fortunate that they will be helping to steer SHINE over the next three years.

I would also like to welcome the two new SHINE Student Representatives, Jimmy Juno and Doga Su Ozturk. Jimmy and Doga are replacing the two outgoing Student Coordinators, Tatiana Hernandez and Christina Kay, who did a terrific job organizing the Student Day at the 2015 Workshop.