[Shine-participants] JOB OPENING: Tenure-track Faculty Position in Heliophysics at the University of Arizona

Joe Giacalone giacalon at lpl.arizona.edu
Tue Nov 24 17:43:40 EST 2015

The Department of Planetary Sciences/Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
(LPL) at the University of Arizona seeks to fill a tenure-track
faculty position in the area of Solar and Heliospheric Physics,
defined broadly. Theorists, numerical modelers, data analysts, and
instrumentalists are all encouraged to apply. The initial appointment
will preferably be at the level of untenured Assistant Professor.
Present departmental faculty and research staff are engaged in
many aspects of planetary science, including planetary surfaces,
interiors, atmospheres, ionospheres, magnetospheres, the Sun and
heliosphere, exoplanetary systems, comparative planetary studies,
origins of planetary systems, and orbital dynamics. They employ
tools such as theoretical studies and data analysis, laboratory
and field investigations, telescopic observations, remote sensing,
and spacecraft development, operations, and instrumentation. The
departmental faculty, research staff, and graduate student body
are drawn from the diverse backgrounds of planetary science,
astronomy, physics, chemistry, geology, and engineering. More
information about this and other positions is available
at https://www.lpl.arizona.edu/faculty-jobs. Additional information
concerning the Department/Laboratory is available
at http://www.lpl.arizona.edu.

The successful candidate will be expected to establish and maintain
a distinguished research program, including extramural funding,
and to supervise graduate students. The faculty member will also
teach courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels, and
contribute to mentoring students, including those from
underrepresented backgrounds. The faculty member will also
participate in outreach and contribute to departmental, college,
and university service. In these and other ways, the faculty
member will help to develop innovative approaches to enhancing
student engagement, increasing diversity, and expanding
collaborations with community and business partners.

At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate
because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives
is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving
complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community.
We translate these values into action by seeking individuals
who have experience and expertise working with diverse students,
colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with
diverse perspectives and experiences, we encourage minorities,
women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply. As
an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs.

Salary is dependent on qualifications. To be considered for an
appointment above the rank of Assistant Professor, candidates
must have an internationally recognized record of distinguished
scientific achievement, leadership, and teaching ability in
Heliophysics. To be considered for appointment at the rank of
Assistant Professor, candidates must demonstrate clear promise
of such achievement.

Review of applications will begin on January 11, and will continue
until the position is filled. The starting date for the appointment
is anticipated to August 2016. Applicants must complete the
online application and upload required documents (including a cover
letter, reference details, a CV with publication list, statement
of research interests, and statement of teaching philosophy) at
uacareers.com (search for Posting #20286). Three letters of reference
must be uploaded with application before initial review of
applications; information for applicant and letter writers is
included in the online application. For further information,
contact:  Professor Timothy D. Swindle, Head and Director,
Department of Planetary Sciences / Lunar and Planetary Laboratory,
University of Arizona / 1629 E. University Blvd.,Tucson, Arizona
85721-0092, (520) 621-4128, tswindle at lpl.arizona.edu
The University of Arizona is an EEO/AA employer - M/W/D/V.