[Nessc] Announcement of New England Town Hall Meeting and NESSC Meeting on October 8

Nathan Schwadron nschwadron at guero.sr.unh.edu
Wed Sep 22 13:37:33 EDT 2010

Hi All

As mentioned previously we will be having a Town hall meeting on Friday October 8 to discuss (1) the up and coming Decadel survey, and (2) the possibility of a NESSC summer school on heliophysical processes (such as magnetic reconnection). The NESSC meeting on October 8 will run from 10 AM - 3:30 PM. Folks will congregate at around 10 AM and the meeting probably will get into full swing around 10:30 AM or so.  Attached (I think) is an announcement for the town hall meeting.  Attachments are hit or miss in exploder lists so I have also pasted in the announcement below.

Please respond to me (n.schwadron at unh.edu) if you plan to attend. As always, all are welcome!

Cheers

Nathan

Nathan Schwadron
University of New Hampshire
Space Science Center - 354 Morse Hall
8 College Road
Durham NH 03824-3525

phone: (603) 862-3451
cell: (210) 632-6451
email: n.schwadron at unh.edu

======*=======*========*========*==========*========*=======

The 2013-2022 NRC Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics
New England Regional Town Hall Meeting
Friday October 8, 2010 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM

In conjunction with a meeting of the New England Space Science Consortium

UNH/Holloway Commons(*), Durham, NH

The New England Community members of the National Research Council (NRC) Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics and organizers of the New England Space Science Consortium (NESSC) invite your participation at a community meeting to learn more about the recently initiated Decadal Survey. We will gather community advice and solicit ideas for this vital activity in setting our Nation’s priorities for Solar and Space Science in the next decade.
We are particularly interested in communicating information about the importance and value that will be placed on the community input in the form of “concept papers,” (e.g., mission, observation, theory, or modeling activity) that identifies and motivates one or more new or existing science or societal objectives and promises to advance the scientific objectives, contribute to fundamental understanding of the Sun-Earth/planetary system, and/or facilitate the connection between science and societal needs (e.g., improvements in space weather prediction). Details on how to submit a paper are on the NRC website. Responses are due by November 12, 2010.
Information about the Decadal Survey can be found at www.nas.edu/ssb (click on “A Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics”)

We look forward to meeting with you, and please spread the word about this meeting to your solar and space physics colleagues.

For further information, please feel free to contact our local New England region NRC Decadal Survey and NESSC representatives:

New England region members of the NRC Decadal Steering Committee:
Harlan Spence (UNH) and liaison to Solar Wind Magnetosphere Interactions Panel
Justin Kasper (Harvard/CfA) and liaison to Solar Heliosphere Panel
Mary Hudson (Dartmouth College)

New England Space Science Consortium Organizer (http://nessc.unh.edu):
Nathan Schwadron (UNH)

(*) We will meet in the Piscataqua Room at Holloway Commons, located on Main Street ~10 minutes walking distance east from the train depot and the main visitor parking lot. A UNH campus map is located here: http://www.unh.edu/ecd/images/CP/croppedmap_07-2010.pdf.