[HubbardBrookISE] ISE Update - Feedback on Plot Location Consent Needed!

Schaberg, Paul -FS pschaberg at fs.fed.us
Thu Jun 4 13:41:31 EDT 2015

Hi Lindsey et al.,

Sorry for the late reply - I have been away for the last two weeks.

Looking at the plot inventory data, I am a bit concerned that there are so few trees per species for many of the plots.  For dendrochronology analysis most researchers use 10 or more trees per species to get reliable averages that avoid tree-to-tree variations in growth due to the many other random factors (like micro-site or place-based competition) that effect growth.  In studies that involve treatments (like NuPert or with this study) the number of trees per species per plot can be reduced (assuming a cohesive and strong treatment effect). However, here even for the two most common tree species (sugar and red maple) there are only 3 plots with good sample sizes and one plot (#10) with no trees form these species.   It could be that data from just 2-3 trees will provide means and standard errors sufficient to detect differences (especially if treatment effects are large), but this could be a gamble.

On a related note - how bogus would it be to restrict the random allocation of treatments among plots to assure that the plots with many trees per species (like plots 2, 3 and 7 for red maple and 5, 6 and 9 for sugar maple) are distributed to different treatments (possibly control, medium and high ice loading) so that we can better discern the interplay of sample size and treatment impacts?

Thoughts?

-Paul-

[Forest Service Shield]

Paul G. Schaberg PhD
Research Plant Physiologist

Forest Service
Northern Research Station, NRS 16 - Restoration and Conservation of Rural and Urban Forests

p: 802-656-1715
c: 802-777-5590
f: 802-656-8683
pschaberg at fs.fed.us<mailto:pschaberg at fs.fed.us>