[HubbardBrookISE] To be Random or Not to be Random - that is todays question

Rustad, Lindsey -FS lrustad at fs.fed.us
Wed Jun 3 20:41:55 EDT 2015

Dear Iser's,
With Tim's tech coming up next week, we need to assign sub plots to measurements.
In short:

1.        We have 8 5-5 m subplots in the inner 10 x 20 plot (5 m buffer around the inner plots)

2.       We have 4 sub plots for repeat measures (sensors, lysimeters, respiration (x2), trace gas flux, litter fall

3.       We have 3 sub plots for destructive sampling (litter decomposition, root ingrowth cores, N mineralization)

4.       We have one plot reserved and untouched for future efforts.

Plan A - Some randomness:  We can use a random number generator to set the location of the first repeat sampling plot (1 vs 2), along the northern border of the plot,  and then stagger the others alternately, so we have one repeat sampling plot in each 'row'.  We can then use the random number generator for the reserve plot.  We would then assign the destructive sampling plots to the remaining 3 non assigned plots.  The advantage is there is some degree of randomness in the sub plot assignments.

Plan B - No randomness:  We simply assign the 8 sub plots in order as below.  The advantage is you always know where to find the different plots

PLEASE LET US KNOW BY COB tomorrow, June 4th if you have a strong preference for one approach vs the other.  We will be assigning plots and instrument sites on Friday and Monday!

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D09E3D.B2CDCD90]

[Forest Service Shield]

Lindsey Rustad, PhD
Research Ecologist