[HubbardBrookCOS] Costs and benefits of sampling intensively

Ruth D Yanai rdyanai at syr.edu
Thu Aug 11 16:57:46 EDT 2022

Hubbard Brook Scientists,

If you are planning to be at the ASM meeting, or even if you are not, we are looking for contributors to a workshop and ultimately a publication that includes costs in addition to benefits of sampling intensity.  Please let us know if you are interested in participating, and what data set you are interested in.

We have been involved in the past in applying uncertainty analysis to ecological monitoring with an eye to improving the efficiency of sampling designs (e.g., Levine et al. 2014<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2013.12.010>).  However, we have not yet brought in cost as a variable.

Would you be interested in attempting a cost-benefit analysis of one or more data sets from your site?  We will schedule a couple of remote meetings in advance of the ASM, to show you our efforts to date and offer assistance in planning yours.  The program for our workshop would start with presentations from current participants, and continue with discussions from participants who might join this effort or improve our approaches with their insights.

Please let us know if you would like to be included.

Here is the workshop abstract:

Better Monitoring through Uncertainty Analysis:
Costs and benefits of sampling intensively
Uncertainty analysis can be used to improve the efficiency of ecosystem monitoring, better enabling sampling designs to maximize information gained relative to investments in sample collection and analysis. Periodic evaluation of monitoring programs is important to accommodate changing objectives, technological advances, and the accumulation of information over time. Cost-benefit analyses can provide an objective basis for making decisions to adjust sampling effort, whether driven by a need to cut costs, an opportunity to make investments, or a target statistical confidence.  We will illustrate the cost of statistical confidence for diverse environmental data sets, such as soil chemistry, litterfall monitoring, loon health, and stream loads.

Please pass this on to anyone else you think might be interested.

Ruth Yanai, John Campbell, Mark Green
www.quantifyinguncertainty.org