[HubbardBrookCOS] Please RSVP by March 13 for HB/HF joint meeting

Sarah Garlick sgarlick at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Thu Mar 7 12:32:35 EST 2019

Dear colleagues:

I am looking forward to seeing many of you at Harvard Forest later this
month for the 2nd annual Harvard Forest-Hubbard Brook Joint Meeting on
March 20th at Harvard Forest. A detailed description of the program follows
below.

*Please RSVP by March 13 via this link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScp7U5pfTvUQZLOUTr593GLsYnMO-AazEavMzYy8odPbr8TVQ/viewform>.
*

As a reminder, we have funding to cover travel costs for investigators,
staff, and students to attend this meeting. Please be in touch if you have
any questions.

Thank you!
Sarah

_______

As part of the Public Engagement with Science at LTER Sites project,
Marissa Weiss from Harvard Forest and I are organizing a "Collaborations
Incubator” and a workshop on Faming Science for Engagement. The Framing
Science session will feature a talk by Ezra Markowitz, assistant professor
of environmental decision-making at UMass Amherst, and we will workshop two
public engagement case studies, one from each site.

Harvard Forest and Hubbard Brook investigators, staff, and students are
invited to participate on March 20 at Harvard Forest - this is
strategically timed to also include our Hubbard Brook colleagues in the
Symposium on March 19.

Below is the draft agenda for the March 20 joint meeting.

RSVP to the March 20th Joint Meeting here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScp7U5pfTvUQZLOUTr593GLsYnMO-AazEavMzYy8odPbr8TVQ/viewform>
.
[The March 19th Symposium is now full - for more information see the
symposium website: http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/symposium ]

DRAFT AGENDA: Collaborations Incubator & Framing Science for Engagement - A
Joint Meeting of Hubbard Brook and Harvard Forest Investigators, Staff, and
Students
Harvard Forest
March 20, 2019
9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.:  Continental breakfast and mixer / icebreaker

9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Collaborations Incubator: PES at LTERs project update
followed by facilitated small- and full-group discussions about future
directions for collaborative research and public engagement at Hubbard
Brook and Harvard Forest.

12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Lunch

12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.: Words That Change Minds: Framing as a Strategic
Tactic for Science Communication: invited guest lecture from Ezra
Markowitz, FrameWorks Institute Fellow and assistant professor of
environmental decision-making at UMass Amherst (with introduction by John
Besley, professor of public engagement at Michigan State University and
PES at LTERs co-PI)

1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.: Framing in Action for Inspiring Engagement: Group
discussion about how we frame research stories from Hubbard Brook and
Harvard Forest, featuring examples from both sites including: Changing our
Nitrogen Story (Hubbard Brook) and Humans, Forest Pests, and Climate Change
- communicating about threats to our forest, and forest resilience (Harvard
Forest).

2:30 p.m.: Adjourn

--
Sarah Garlick