[HubbardBrookCOS] PES survey this week

Sarah Garlick sgarlick at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Tue Jan 29 13:34:25 EST 2019

Dear Colleagues:

We are reaching the mid point of the Public Engagement with Science at
LTERs (PES at LTERs
<https://hubbardbrook.org/articles/embedding-public-engagement-science-lter-sites>)
project, a collaborative science communication research and implementation
project at Hubbard Brook and Harvard Forest, funded by NSF’s Advancing
Informal STEM Learning program.

Through this project we are developing our capacities at both sites for
effective engagement with practitioners, industry leaders, policy makers,
and other stakeholders. The work involves leading policy-relevant synthesis
projects at two LTER sites, advancing knowledge about evidence-based
practices in public engagement, and testing and implementing a new
science-society engagement model.

John Besley’s research to investigate scientists’ attitudes about public
engagement and the cultures of engagement at Hubbard Brook and Harvard
Forest is an important aspect of this work. In the coming days you’ll be
hearing from John with a link to his second survey for this project. It
would be a huge help for our team if you could please fill out this survey
when you receive the link. Your participation will directly help shape and
grow the engagement work at Hubbard Brook.

Thank you! Please let me know if you have any questions. Below is a quick
summary of our recent project highlights.

Warm wishes,
Sarah

PES at LTERs Project Highlights at Hubbard Brook

   - Clara Chaisson hired as our Outreach and Communications Manager
   - Hubbard Brook Monthly
   <https://hubbardbrook.org/hubbard-brook-monthly-view> newsletter
   launched to increase engagement within the HB community
   - Forest Science News
   <https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=ywl48vmab&p=oi&m=1113130512088&sit=nx7kfzyhb&f=15f0d9bb-cb20-446c-b860-63f80ae7f2f7>
newsletter
   launched to increase regular science communication with stakeholders,
   edited by Tim Fahey
   - Hubbard Brook Featured Speakers
   <https://hubbardbrook.org/featured-speakers> and Hubbard Brook
   Multimedia Stories <http://multimedia.hubbardbrook.org/> developed to
   bring research stories to public audiences
   - Pilot Citizen Science project initiated with the Society for the
   Protection of New Hampshire Forests, led by Natalie Cleavitt
   - Advisory Council
   <https://hubbardbrook.org/articles/hbrf-creates-new-advisory-council>
   developed to provide a way for investigators to solicit feedback about the
   broader impacts of their current and proposed research
   - Resilience Science Links synthesis project initiated, led by Alix
   Contosta, Sarah Garlick, Peter Groffman, Shannon Rogers, and Pam Templer
   - Stakeholder dialogue programs facilitated at Hubbard Brook and at
   Dartmouth College
   - New engagement initiated with policy advisors and corporate
   sustainability officers in NH and VT

--
Sarah Garlick
Director of Science Policy and Outreach