[HubbardBrookCOS] Format of Annual Cooperator's Meeting (Survey Results and Suggested Format)

Templer, Pamela H ptempler at bu.edu
Mon Apr 6 15:48:45 EDT 2015

Dear Committee of Scientists,

In January, we sent out a survey about our Annual Cooperator's Meeting at Hubbard Brook. The concern had been raised that the meeting is often packed with science talks and committee meetings, leaving little time for discussion or informal scientific interaction. Several alternate strategies for the meeting had been proposed and we sent out a survey to get input from the COS and student community about potential changes. Please find the results of that survey attached.

There will be a small amount of time at tomorrow's COS meeting to discuss the format of this summer's Annual Cooperator's Meeting. We will continue the discussion after the COS meeting and welcome everyone's input. One idea for changing the Annual Meeting was to increase the length of the meeting by one day. Because the Board of Trustees Meeting for this July was scheduled long ago, it would be challenging to change it for this summer. We therefore propose that for 2015 we keep the length of the meeting the same and try the format below for this year. We can consider a longer meeting for 2016.

Based on the results of the survey and the need to maintain the length of the meeting this year, we suggest the following format for this summer's annual meeting:

*         Leave the total length of the meeting the same

*         Add time at the end of each session for some discussion

*         Change the format so that people can choose between giving 2, 4, 6 or 8 minute talks

*         Add a new poster session

We welcome input via email and/or at tomorrow's COS meeting.

All the best,

Pam Templer, John Battles, Nat Cleavitt, Peter Groffman, Gary Lovett, Rebecca Sanders-DeMott, and Ruth Yanai

Pamela Templer, PhD
Associate Professor of Biology
Director, PhD Program in Biogeosciences

Boston University