[HubbardBrook] Hubbard Brook Quarterly Project Meeting Agenda April 7

Christine L. Goodale clg33 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:20:27 EDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

Please find below and attached the draft agenda for the upcoming Hubbard Brook Quarterly Project Meeting, to be held over Zoom 10-2:30 EDT on Wed. April 7.  Zoom link to follow at a later date.

The overall topic is the LTER Renewal proposal. Topics proposed are all discussions, and will be led by Peter Groffman & Pam Templer.

Christy and John
SCC Co-Chairs

Hubbard Brook Quarterly Project Meeting
April 7, 2021

The LTER Renewal Proposal

Agenda

*         10:00 Introductions

*         Process and timeline (Groffman and Templer)

-    Writing team

-    How we did this last time

-    Budgeting

-        Timeline

-        What was in the last LTER proposal?

-        Synthesis updates

-        IM update from Mary Martin

*         10:45: Do we need a new conceptual model? [see below] (Groffman)

*         11:30: What are the key data streams we need to keep? (Templer)

-        Climate

-        Hydrology

-        Steam chemistry

-        Vegetation

-        Soils

-        Hydropedology

-        Birds

-        Insects

-        Modeling

-        Experiments:

o   CCASE

o   MELNHE

o   Elevation gradient

*         12:00: Lunch

*         12:30 What are the big surprises that have emerged over the past six years? (Groffman)

-        Evapotranspiration,

-        Trees marching down the hill

-        Conifers doing very well

-        Phosphorus co-limitation

-        Insect declines

-        Nitrogen oligotrophication

-        Deacidification and carbon loss

-        Declining resilience

-        Public engagement surprise

*         1:15: Business Meeting (Goodale and Battles)

*         1:45 What new initiatives should we consider? (Templer)

-        Something spatial: Hotspots of change in the landscape - streams, hydropedo. Make some predictions about just where in the landscape are poised for change. FUFOR.

-        Foliar N and the rules of life to integrate biodiversity and biogeochemistry.

-        Resilience in the long-term data streams

-        Diversity, equity and inclusion - humans, evolution of our community.

-        Molecular linking community composition with function

-        It's the trees stupid!

o   Evapotranspiration

o   Novel communities, e.g., red spruce and white pine

*         Additional Topics

-        What are lessons from the mid-term review?

-        What are key gaps linked to surprising results (remote sensing, meteorology, other)?

 *          2:30 Adjourn

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D72253.2575DC30]