[HubbardBrook] Hubbard Brook 2021 Annual Cooperators Meeting: Instructions for participants and moderators

John BATTLES jbattles at berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 5 10:52:28 EDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Happy 4th of July!

Thanks to all of you for presenting and moderating at this week’s Hubbard
Brook Annual Cooperators Meeting! We include detailed instructions below.
Please be sure to read to the bottom, regardless of whether you are a
presenter or moderator so you understand the flow of the meeting.

*Instructions for Participants*

·  If not already the case, please rename your participant identification
so everybody knows who is who. To rename, go to "Participant List," find
your login, and then click on the "More" tab. "Rename" is an option on the
drop down list.

·  To ask questions, please raise your hand using the "raise hand" function
on Zoom. The session moderator will call on you to ask your question.

*PLEASE NOTE: ZOOM LINKS WERE SENT WHEN YOU REGISTERED. *

You can find the link to the information in your email inbox. The subject
was: *Confirmation of registration for Hubbard Brook Annual Meeting*

The sender was: *Mary Martin*

*Instructions for Presenters:*

*Preparation of Presentations:*

·   You have either 2 or 4 minutes to present and we will keep a very tight
schedule, so please practice your talks

·   We have 1 minute between each talk to allow time for transition between
talks

·   Please minimize use of jargon and abbreviations in your slides

·   Explain your work so a broad audience can understand; try to avoid
referring to watersheds as their numbers only and explain their background
briefly

·   Minimize number of figures and tables on each slide and maximize font
size so people can follow your talk clearly

 *Presentation Files: You must upload your file to the Google Folder by
11:59pm on Tuesday, July 6th (for Wednesday talks) and by 11:59pm on
Wednesday, July 7th (for Thursday talks) *

·   Each speaker will share their screens at the time of their talks, but
please upload your presentation file to the Google Folder so we have a
physical back-up of your talk

·   Use this format in saving your presentation file:

o  Session #_Last Name

o  For example: Session 2_Gannon.pptx

·   Place your talk in the appropriate sub-folder of this Google
Folder: *Upload
HB 2021 Talks
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/123BXpC6IaYgVJIpE9VU4aOYRyeqDXQ_N?usp=sharing>*

*Actual Presentations on Day of the Meetings:*

·   Have your presentation file open and your screen ready to share before
the start of your session

·   Have the Zoom Phone Number and Meeting ID handy in case your internet
becomes unsteady. We can show your slides if needed using your back-up
presentation files in the Google Folder, but we need you to be able to
connect verbally. If you are unable to connect at the time of your
presentation, we won’t be able to return to your presentation later since
we have many talks in the schedule.

·   The Zoom link will be open 30 minutes before the start of the meeting.
We recommend that you check your presentation and screen share during this
pre-meeting online check.

 *Instructions for Moderators:*

·  Meeting support

Peter Groffman is the main host of the Zoom meeting.

Christy Goodale will keep time on Day 1 (Wed, July 7); Pam Templer will
keep time on Day 2 (Thur, July 8)

Jackie Matthes will moderate the chat on Day 1 (Wed, July 7); Winsor Lowe
will moderate the chat on Day 2 (Thur, July 8)

John Battles is the back-up on presentations in case of internet problems.

·   Following talks, each session has a period for “Questions and
Discussion” about the talks from the previous session

·   We also have time set aside at the end of each day for “Broader
Discussion and Visioning” that can be about topics at large.

·   Please end the session-specific Q&A and then introduce the “Broader
Discussion and Visioning” if you’re moderator in sessions that have the
“Broader Discussion and Visioning”

·   We have a “chat facilitator” for each session to help you with
questions in case there are too many to track (see above).

·   If one person asks many questions, encourage them to allow others to
speak and encourage others to ask questions.

·   At the beginning of each discussion and Q&A section, tell the audience
the following:

·   Do not just call out your question, everyone is muted until it is their
turn to speak

·   “Raise your hand” within the “Participants” window when you want to
comment or ask a question

·    “Lower your hand” after you ask your question

·   We will unmute people when it is their turn to ask a question or make a
comment

·   You can write questions directly in the chat box (as moderator, please
watch the chat box for questions people don’t want ask themselves)

·   We reserve the first questions for students and postdocs to encourage
their participation.

·   Do any students and postdocs have questions?

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions or concerns!

All the best,

John Battles and Christy Goodale

Co-Chairs, Hubbard Brook Scientific Coordinating Committee (SCC)

--
John J. Battles
UC Berkeley