[HubbardBrook] Updated leaf-out predictions for Hubbard Brook

Matthew P. Ayres Matthew.P.Ayres at dartmouth.edu
Wed May 27 13:45:56 EDT 2020

Hi Hubbard Brook,
Our phenology model predicts that average budburst of canopy beech and maple on the Main bird plot was last Thursday. As of today, the forecast is for trees to rocket through leaf expansion and reach 90% of full leaf expansion by this Friday. It has been reliably true that late cool springs at HB are associated with particularly warm temperatures during the period leaf expansion. One of our working hypotheses for fluctuations of caterpillar abundance at HB is that years such as this are good for moth populations because the many species with life histories to feed on the nutritious expanding leaves grow faster as caterpillars when it is warm during this period and therefore experience fewer days of high predation risk from birds. Perhaps we will get some more information from this year to evaluate the hypothesis. Enclosed and below is todays view from the phenocam at Headquarters (thank you Andrew Richardson!). The image seems consistent with an extrapolated prediction from our model that leaf expansion should be about complete by now at that elevation (234 m asl).

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D6342D.1F9290C0]

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D6342D.1F9290C0]
https://phenocam.sr.unh.edu/webcam/sites/hubbardbrook/

Matt