[HubbardBrook] Urgent: Plan to ensure data continuity and staff well-being at HBEF during federal shutdown

Anthea Lavallee alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Mon Jan 14 16:13:48 EST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

The SCC has been working with the HBRF on a plan to ensure the continuity
of the data collection at HBEF and the well-being of our colleagues during
the federal shut-down.

Currently the only trained USFS employee allowed to work (without pay) is
Ian Halm. It is neither reasonable nor safe to expect Ian to shoulder the
entire burden of our winter data collection (streamwater, precipitation,
snow courses).

Our best solution is to provide additional funding via the HB Research
Foundation to pay Hannah Vollmer and Gabe Winant to help Ian. Hannah and
Gabe are HBRF employees. Half of their regular salary for technical work in
the HBEF is typically paid through an agreement between the HBRF and the
USFS. They are now not receiving the USFS portion of their pay nor will
they be eligible for back pay.

We do not know when the shutdown will end, but our target is to raise in
total $5,300 in private contributions (equivalent to 2 months of technical
support from Hannah and Gabe for Ian) to be used exclusively to mitigate
circumstances where essential data collection is at risk. To kick off the
campaign, we have received a pledge from a private donor to match gifts
from Hubbard Brook researchers and HBRF Trustees up to $500.

We see three important reasons to ask for this support:

1) It will maintain the long-term data record that we all rely on for our
science.

2) It will ease the burden on Ian Halm.

3) It will financially support valued colleagues whose dedication to the
day-to-day operation of the HBES is essential.

If you would like to contribute to this effort, please make a contribution
using the following link:

http://supporthubbardbrook.org/

Regards,

John Battles and Pam Templer