[Crater-team] A quick look at the CRaTER single-detector rates from the last few days

Jody Wilson jkwilson at guero.sr.unh.edu
Sat Jan 13 03:11:44 EST 2024

Hi Mark,
There were momentum slews being performed every day from day 005 through 010, so that probably explains the clean flat-top increases in D5 and D6. The nadir end was skewed well away from nadir for up to half an hour each time, and with an SEP event still under way, they saw higher fluxes away from nadir.

The telemetry plots indicate that the D2 storm on days 7-10 was an unusually bad period of noise - "bad events." Harlan is wondering if some of the D2 noisy periods throughout the mission had a special external cause. In other words, the D2 counts during these periods may not be real, but the timing (and intensity?) of the noise/bad events may indicate something physically interesting in the environment that affects the electronics.

By the way, LROC experienced an anomaly on either day 6 or day 7 (details haven't been given yet), and that news, combined with the unusually high D2 noise rate, was what convinced me to bring a D2 noise event to everyone's attention for the first time. LROC had another glitch a few weeks earlier, and at that time they wanted to know if CRaTER saw something unusual that might explain the glitch, but in that case all we saw was a steady GCR background with zero noise. This time we may have CRaTER and LROC being glitch-y at the same time, but now LROC isn't saying much.

-Jody