[Crater-team] CRaTER D2 unusually noisy over the past 24 hours

Jody Wilson jkwilson at guero.sr.unh.edu
Mon Jan 8 16:38:31 EST 2024

CRaTER folks,

This morning before the Monday Ops telecon, I noticed that there was an
unusually large spike in noise around midnight between Jan 7-8. I was
going to give it more time before reporting anything about it, but the
telecon started with a cryptic message from LROC that they had a glitch
"over the weekend," so I went ahead and mentioned that CRaTER's noise
level jumped to unusual levels over the weekend as well.

You can see the obvious spike in the 3-month telemetry plot:

... and in the recent telemetry data there's still noise, peaking at
rates of over 1000, with average rates usually below 100:

GOES shows nothing unusual going on - just the declining phase of a
moderate/large particle event:

I'll keep an eye on things.  Hopefully these are just a coincidental
one-off events in CRaTER and LROC!

-Jody