[Crater-team] CRaTER data from the recent SEP event

Mark D Looper mark.d.looper at aero.org
Thu Feb 22 02:43:07 EST 2024

Hello—

                I went looking at the data that I downloaded Friday from the SEP event that began on day 40 of 2024 (February 9).  Much of the second day was spent in elevated mode, but that was about it; the sensor never entered extreme mode.  Proton data looked reasonable throughout; I don’t know that we can get anything from the doubles data since there is no anticoincidence (most events are energetic enough to be triples events but exit out the side of the sensor before hitting D6), but we should be able to get at least a few proton spectral channels from triples.  I also looked back at the hottest day in my memory, 2012/068, and found the same for normal and elevated mode data.  Extreme mode data appears to be useless; the idea was to suppress light ions to look for heavy ones when fluxes really got high, but it looks like all we see are spurious coincidences from protons kicking off electron secondaries and triggering detectors not struck by the primary proton.  I saw no alpha tracks in any of the data; their spectra are evidently too soft to compete with the large numbers of protons at these energies.

                My intention of producing a time series of clean GCR protons and alphas using the triples data looks like it can be extended to SEPs when not in extreme mode; of course, we’d need to pin down discriminator deadtime.  Kerry, maybe you & I should discuss this whole mess in a Zoom call or something so we can share screens.

--Mark

Mark D. Looper, PhD
Space Sciences Department
The Aerospace Corporation