[Crater-team] Comparisons for GLACE paper

Mark D Looper mark.d.looper at aero.org
Wed Feb 21 13:39:40 EST 2024

Hello—

                I’m going to be joining today’s Zoom call from my car today, so I’ll have to wait until later to send you all some comparison plots I’m making between Dobyne & Guo’s REDMoon lunar albedo model and GLACE.  They provide the only double-differential energy/angle dataset that I’ve seen, so I can make a direct comparison (with allowances for different target materials and GCR models) with my own energy/angle plots.  They also compare angle-integrated spectra with the neutron models of Adams et al. (2007), Hayatsu et al. (2008), McKinney et al. (2006), and Denisov et al. (2010),  and observations from Lunar Prospector (Maurice et al., 2000).  Joe Mazur also helped me find his ASEC 2017 talk, where he compared an earlier version of the GLACE simulations with Maurice et al. (2000), and also compared the model’s gamma ray results with data from Fermi (Ackermann et al., 2016).

                I am thinking that I can skip the earlier model comparisons (2006-2010) and point readers to Dobynde & Guo (2021) for those; I want to focus on REDMoon, since it provides details within the subsurface and thus is complementary to GLACE (surface and orbital altitudes).  However, I would like to add any other comparisons with observations or models that you all think would be appropriate.  I would especially like to include modeling and observations from LEND if possible, since that rides right alongside us on LRO; are there any good summary references of those to which you all could point me?  And are there any others you think appropriate?

                Oh, and I did download the CRaTER data from the past week’s SEPs on Friday, and began grinding on them; I will send you what I find in that as well.  Kerry, I still owe you the writeups of what I did for past SEP events…

Thanks—
--Mark

Mark D. Looper, PhD
Space Sciences Department