[Crater-team] Interesting Artifacts in CRaTER Data: 6-Month Periodicity in Low LET Fluxes (including a strange anti correlation)

Mark D Looper mark.d.looper at aero.org
Mon May 17 23:48:22 EDT 2021

Hello—

                I attach a text file and two plots.  The text file day_temp.txt is stripped out of the level 2 housekeeping files; there are five flight temperatures reported there at a nominal cadence of 16 seconds, and this file contains a daily average of each.  The temperature labels at the top of the file are as in CRaTER L0-L1-L2 Products--2009-01-29.docx from before launch.  In addition to the year, day, and five temperatures, I include the number of measurements in the day’s file (nominally 5400); I also include the standard deviation of each of the temperatures from the mean of each day.

There is a sinusoidal pattern to the individual measurements in most days, which presumably correlates with the orbit; the sigma values will give you an idea of its amplitude.  There may be an interplay between spacecraft attitude (exposure to the sun’s heat) and altitude (exposure to heat from the Moon), but I didn’t take time to examine that.  Clearly something like this would correlate with latitude, and could mask or falsify other variations; that’s part of why I’ve been meaning for years to do background correction on a cadence of much less than one orbit, both for albedo looking down and for GCRs (searching for directionality) looking up.  I’ll get to it, one of these days…

                As for the plots, day_temp.png simply plots the daily averages of the five temperatures from the text file.  d6cutratio.png is from my Fall 2014 AGU talk; it shows the ratio of the daily D6 LET spectra for D2D4D6 triples with the average early in the mission.  You can see the 6-month cycle Wouter pointed out, and also the anticorrelation between the lowest and near-lowest channels.  That’s part of why (besides statistics at higher LET values) I summed up spectra for six months in Figure 6 of our 2020 paper in Space Weather.

Hope this helps—
--Mark

Mark D. Looper
Space Sciences Department