[Shine-participants] SHINE January Newsletter

Lugaz, Noe Noe.Lugaz at unh.edu
Mon Jan 6 10:10:47 EST 2020

Dear all,

See SHINE location and session proposal announcement as well as two recruitment opportunities below.

1- SHINE 2020: Session Proposals and Deadlines

The 2020 SHINE workshop will be taking place the week of 2020 July 13-17 in Honolulu, HI at the Alohilani Resort (student day on July 12). GEM will take place at the same location the following week. Some joint activities will occur during the week-end of July 18-19.
This year, we are requesting session proposal through an online google form. The deadline is 2020 January 17. Note that we are not requesting session proposals for the joint GEM-SHINE day.

https://forms.gle/kX39wKDz3rsK6H1U7<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__forms.gle_kX39wKDz3rsK6H1U7&d=DwMDaQ&c=c6MrceVCY5m5A_KAUkrdoA&r=vgKXDGIZAb46VuIAoNKbFeYJwHN_ukNoeRmw-SRx4gg&m=royqCnVqfRUhJwYqciyzSJF-2AS1S0zKS1cbipeoWgM&s=4S4Ty17o7iuicQoDEkw6M0mFMdi62xRYF6DV9_lcey4&e=>

Deadline for student support: April 24th, 2020

Early Bird Registration Deadline: May 8th, 2020 by midnight at the end of the day

Deadline for abstract submission, hotel reservation and registration: June 11th, 2020

Further information about the workshop can be found on the SHINE website. https://shinecon.org/CurrentMeeting.php<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__shinecon.org_CurrentMeeting.php&d=DwQDaQ&c=c6MrceVCY5m5A_KAUkrdoA&r=vgKXDGIZAb46VuIAoNKbFeYJwHN_ukNoeRmw-SRx4gg&m=royqCnVqfRUhJwYqciyzSJF-2AS1S0zKS1cbipeoWgM&s=QirjLR1FQWi2adw3JdppIWYPY-LEEBriym2bpymhAu0&e=>

2- The National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is hiring!

The National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is hiring a Lab Director for our High Altitude Observatory (HAO) Laboratory. HAO research focuses on the impact of Solar variability on Earth’s atmosphere across temporal scales, with the goal of gaining a better understanding of the key physical processes that can both improve and inform next-generation forecasts of space weather, associated hazards, and space climate.

The Director’s primary responsibilities will be to strategically lead the lab’s scientific and administrative direction, in alignment with NCAR’s strategic goals and missions. As a member of the NCAR Executive Committee,
the Director shares in NCAR management deliberations and decisions, offering on the behalf of NCAR and ACOM advice on matters such as scientific goals, initiatives and standards, budgets, priorities, policies, programs, and other matters. Join the NCAR team where our focus is on science for the betterment of society and where we support our staff with excellent benefits.
To apply for the HAO Lab Director position, please visit our website:
<https://ucar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UCAR_Careers/job/Foothills-Lab-0/NCAR-Associate-Director---ACOM_REQ-2019-86-2>

3- Postdoctoral Space Physics Position at U Iowa

Dear Colleagues,

The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Iowa invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Position in the field of Space Physics. The position involves analyzing spacecraft observations from current spacecraft missions (Parker Solar Probe, MMS, ARTEMIS, MAVEN, Wind) using new techniques based on kinetic plasma theory to understand plasma heating and particle acceleration by turbulence in heliospheric plasmas.  The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in physics, or a closely related field, with experience in space physics or plasma physics research. Preference will be given to those with experience in the observational analysis of spacecraft measurements. The position is for two years, with potential renewal for a third year.

Applicants should send (in PDF format, please) a cover letter, CV, and statement of research interests and arrange for at least two letters of recommendation to be sent via e-mail to Professor Howes at gregory-howes at uiowa.edu<mailto:gregory-howes at uiowa.edu><mailto:gregory-howes at uiowa.edu>; inquiries may be sent to the same address. Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2020, but applications will be accepted on a continuing basis until the position is filled. The start date is flexible, as early as Spring 2020 and as late as Fall 2020.

Noé Lugaz, on behalf of the SHINE Steering Committee