[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter, September 2018

DE NOLFO, GEORGIA A. (GSFC-6720) georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 28 13:03:03 EDT 2018

SHINE Newsletter September 2018

Dear SHINE Community,

The survey for the SHINE 2018 workshop is now on-line.  Please take a few minutes to give us your feedback.  In addition, there are a number of announcements we’d like to highlight below.

Sincerely,
Georgia A. de Nolfo
SHINE Steering Committee Chair

———————————————————————————————————

Contents:

  1.  SHINE 2018 Workshop Survey
  2.  New SHINE Personnel
  3.  Call for Session Proposals for the 2019 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan 15)

———————————————————————————————————-

1. SHINE 2018 Workshop Survey

The survey provides an opportunity for feedback on this year’s SHINE workshop and also an opportunity to express your ideas for next year’s workshop in 2019.   Even if you do not plan to organize a session next year, we would like to encourage you to share your ideas; there is an open-ended question at the end of this survey soliciting suggestions for the 2019 Workshop. You can send us your thoughts on the 2018 Workshop and/or your suggestions for the 2019 Workshop through the following link:
SHINE 2018 Survey:   https://goo.gl/forms/hKMtWnAt5kKG9VFm2

Please provide feedback before the deadline of October 30, 2018.

2.  New SHINE Personnel

It is my great pleasure to announce that Dr. Noé Lugaz (University of New Hampshire) has agreed to serve as the next Chair of the SHINE Steering Committee. His term as Chair will begin part-way through the 2019 Workshop and will continue for three years. Noé is transitioning from the SHINE coordinator and has also been keenly involved the overall organization of the workshop and numerous past SHINE sessions. He has been a huge asset to SHINE and will make a terrific Chair. Please join me in congratulating Noé Lugaz and thanking him for agreeing to take on this new role.

After this past SHINE Workshop, three of the nine SHINE Steering Committee members rotated off the Committee: Kelly Korreck, Eric Christian, and Stephen White. We’d like to thank Kelly, Eric, and Stephen for their excellent service on the Steering Committee these past three years. Please join me in welcoming our newest SHINE Steering Committee members: Nicholeen Viall-Kepko (GSFC), Cooper Downs (Predictive Science Inc.), and Lynn Wilson (GSFC). All three have been active and enthusiastic members of SHINE and we are very fortunate to have them join our Steering Committee team over the next three years.

I would also like to welcome Samantha Wallace and Alicia Petersen as new SHINE Student Representatives.  They will be joining Emily Lichko in helping to organize the 2019 Student Day. Given the tremendous student participation in SHINE in recent years, the student representatives are recommending adding a third student representative. Samantha Wallace and Alicia Petersen replace the outgoing Student Coordinator Samaiyah Farid, who did a fantastic job organizing the Student Days in 2017 and 2018.  Thank you Samaiyah !

4.  Call for Session Proposals for the 2019 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan 15)

If there is a topic that you would like to see included in next year's Workshop, please consider proposing a session. Session proposals can be very brief (about one page), should include a list of questions that the session will focus on, and can be emailed to me at georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov<mailto:georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov>. More detailed guidelines for session organizers are included on the SHINE website, www.shinecon.org<http://www.shinecon.org> (see the first link in the right sidebar of that web page). If you have an idea for a session but would like help organizing it, you can still submit a session proposal. If your proposed session goes forward, the Steering Committee will look for a co-organizer to work with you. The Steering Committee encourages the submission of interdisciplinary proposals that connect more than one of the principle sub-disciplines represented at SHINE.

In addition to 2019 workshop session proposals, the Steering Committee would like to encourage the submission of proposals for a SHINE Working Group. A Working Group would consist of 2-3 organizers who have an inter-disciplinary science topic that can be explored in 1-day sessions over 2-3 years. Members of the Working Group would help to organize and sustain the session through multiple years bringing continuity and growth to the identified science topic. Proposals should identify inter-disciplinary topics and present a plan for exploring this topic over
multiple years.  The deadline for submitting session proposals is January 15, 2019.