[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter November 2018

DE NOLFO, GEORGIA A. (GSFC-6720) georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov
Sun Nov 25 20:49:40 EST 2018

SHINE Newsletter November 2018

Dear SHINE Community,

AGU is almost here!  To see a complete list of sessions, please refer to the following link:

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/preliminaryview.cgi/programs.html.  In addition, a few selected sessions are also listed below.

Please use this opportunity at the AGU to reach out to SHINE Steering Committee members to discuss the possibility of submitting a session proposal for SHINE 2019, particularly if there is an exciting problem or topic that you would like to see discussed at the meeting.  Steering Committee Members include Kathy Reeves, Marc DeRosa, Ben Maruca, Gregory Howes, Lynn Wilson, Cooper Downs, Nicholeen Viall-Kepko and SHINE coordinator Teresa Nieves-Chinchilla.  Session proposals are due Jan. 15, 2019.

Sincerely,

Georgia A. de Nolfo

SHINE Steering Committee Chair

———————————————————————————————————

Contents:

1.      Call for Session Proposals for the 2019 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan 15)

2.      Call AGU/SPA Volunteer Opportunity

3.      Judge for student presentations for Outstanding Student Presentation Awards (OSPA)

4.      Upcoming Fall 2018 AGU Sessions

———————————————————————————————————-

1. Call for Session Proposals for the 2019 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan 15)

If there is a topic that you would like to see included in next year's Workshop, please consider proposing a session. Session proposals can be very brief (about one page), should include a list of questions that the session will focus on, and can be emailed to me at georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov<mailto:georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov>. More detailed guidelines for session organizers are included on the SHINE website, www.shinecon.org<http://www.shinecon.org> (see the first link in the right sidebar of that web page). If you have an idea for a session but would like help organizing it, you can still submit a session proposal. If your proposed session goes forward, the Steering Committee will look for a co-organizer to work with you. The Steering Committee encourages the submission of interdisciplinary proposals that connect more than one of the principle sub-disciplines represented at SHINE.

In addition to 2019 workshop session proposals, the Steering Committee would like to encourage the submission of proposals for a SHINE Working Group. A Working Group would consist of 2-3 organizers who have an inter-disciplinary science topic that can be explored in 1-day sessions over 2-3 years. Members of the Working Group would help to organize and sustain the session through multiple years bringing continuity and growth to the identified science topic. Proposals should identify inter-disciplinary topics and present a plan for exploring this topic over

multiple years.  The deadline for submitting session proposals is January 15, 2019.

2. Call AGU/SPA Volunteer Opportunity
AGU/SPA Volunteer Opportunity
AGU/SPA is your community - do you want to know more about what is happening?
Do you want to help foster improved communication?
Do you want to be involved?
We’re looking for a volunteer to work with AGU to manage the SPA section website.  AGU is happy to provide training and guidance on accessing/editing our AGU-hosted webpage and the SPA leadership will be grateful for an improved and updated website.

If you are interested in this volunteer position, please contact either Larry Paxton (Larry.Paxton at jhuapl.edu<mailto:Larry.Paxton at jhuapl.edu>) or Christina Cohen (cohen at srl.caltech.edu<mailto:cohen at srl.caltech.edu>).  Students are especially encouraged!

3. Judge for student presentations for Outstanding Student Presentation Awards (OSPA)

Colleagues:

The 2018 American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting is a little over a month away, 10-14 December 2018 in Washington, DC.  I am one of the Outstanding Student Presentation Awards (OSPA) liaisons for the Earth and Space Science Informatics (IN) Section and would like to direct you to an opportunity to contribute to this program by volunteering to act as a judge for student presentations.  OSPA provides valuable inputs to determine which presentations will receive awards and gives you an opportunity to interact with and provide guidance to student presenters to improve their future presentations.  Judges must be non-student AGU members attending the Fall Meeting.

There are a number of opportunities in the IN Section that need volunteers.  You can select up to 3 abstract to judge.  To volunteer, please follow these steps:

1.     Go to the OSPA

website<http://send.agu.org/link.cfm?r=MauyMqwcnoHKNqiepAWHkQ~~&pe=eV_ZmS_3P5qEHE8sPuQIIF-aGupuXykbb7-NpjjqX0nXt7-BSsH6--nNH72ku0Bt7itb4jVMjW49a9bm_ac4uA~~&t=WLtW730DeK_I7M8JSy7Lsg~~>.

2.     Click on the button for "Judge Login".

3.     Review and agree to the honor code.  Log in with your AGU credentials.

4.     Click on the button for "Find Presentations".

5.     On the Find Presentations, page, you can either search for specific abstracts or sessions in the "Quick Search" feature or view all presentations that meet a specific section or day in the "General Search" feature.  To sign up for an abstract in the Earth and Space Science Informatics (IN) section, select this topic from the first drop-down menu.

6.     Once you have found an abstract that you would like to judge, click on the box on the right side of the abstract.  Then, click on the "Add to Schedule" button at the bottom of the page.  There are then options to add these judging responsibilities to your personal AGU schedule.

2. Upcoming Fall 2018 AGU Sessions

*AGU session SH014, "Origin of Neutrals and Singly Ionized Atoms in the Corona and Interplanetary space"

Abstracts are invited to the session SH014, "Origin of Neutrals and Singly Ionized Atoms in the Corona and Interplanetary space" at the AGU Fall Meeting, Washington D.C., 10 - 14 December 2018.

The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, 1 August 23:59 EDT. Please note that AGU will not accept any late abstracts.

Session ID: 44536

Session Description:

Recent spectroscopic observations acquired during the total solar eclipses of 2015 and 2017 revealed the presence of filamentary hot coronal material with cool inclusions of neutral (He, H, Fe, Mg) and singly and doubly ionized atoms, most likely associated with CME fronts, streaming away at several 100?s to over 1000 km/s. A handful of cases of distinct bright inclusions of prominence material within the filamentary features of a CME front have also been reported in LASCO/C2, C3 and STEREO observations. In-situ measurements of low ionization states of different species at the few percent level within CMEs, have been attributed to prominence material. Observations of low ionized atoms from SOHO/UVCS observations, were attributed to interstellar neutral atoms, or even to neutrals produced by plasma-dust interaction. This session invites contributions from observers and modelers, to explore the possible sources of neutrals and low-ionization plasmas in the corona and interplanetary space.

We welcome contributions on the current state of our empirical and theoretical knowledge regarding the presence and origin of neutrals and low-charge ions from the inner corona to the solar wind, with an emphasis on the upcoming Parker Solar Probe and Solar Orbiter missions, and ground-based facilities such as DKIST.

Primary Convener: Shadia Habbal

Co-conveners: Vincenzo Andretta, Daniele Spadaro, Angelos Vourlidas

*AGU Session: Near Real-Time/Low Latency Data for Earth Science and Space Weather Applications

Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following Earth and Space Science Informatics session at the 2018 Fall AGU Meeting, 10-14 December 2018 in Washington DC.

SessionID: 46340

SessionTitle: IN050 Near Real-Time/Low Latency Data for Earth Science and Space Weather Applications

Section: Earth and Space Science Informatics

Session Viewer Link: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/46340

Conveners: Michael Goodman/NASA MSFC, Gerald Bawden/NASA HQ, Diane Davies/Trigg-Davies Consulting/SSAI/NASA GSFC, and Brad Zavodsky/NASA MSFC

Live Stream: Yes

Session Description: Near real-time and low latency data from satellite, airborne (including UAVs), and surface sensors are transforming existing end-user applications and spawning new ones.  These applications demonstrate the utility of timely data in diverse Earth and space science disciplines including weather prediction, river forecasting, natural and human-caused hazards, public health, agriculture, marine, early warning and space weather applications.  In addition to traditional computer analyses, the use of apps for smartphones and tablets presents an opportunity to improve and expand the timely usage of data products and services.  This session seeks contributions that demonstrate the benefit of near real-time / low latency scientific or social media data, and identify gaps in current capabilities.

We held this session last year (2017) and it was one of the more popular sessions with the Earth Science Informatics (IN) track and we anticipate it to be as popular this year.  This session is cross listed in Natural Hazards, Space Physics and Aeronomy/Solar and Heliophysics (SH) and Hydrology (H).  We expect considerable and diverse interest in the topic and we are looking forward to an enjoyable and informative session.

We encourage you to contribute to our discussion on near real-time and low latency data for Earth science and space weather applications

Index Terms

1863 Snow and Ice [HYDROLOGY]

3360 Remote Sensing [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]

4315 Monitoring, forecasting and prediction [NATURAL HAZARDS]

7924 Forecasting [SPACE WEATHER]

*AGU session SH-011: Magnetic Fields in the Solar Corona: Observations and Modelling

We are pleased to invite contributions to the following AGU session

Session ID: 52784

Session Description:

The coronal magnetic field is the source of many of the fascinating phenomena studied in heliophysics, but its high temperature, low density, the large range of spatial scales of interest, and its highly dynamic nature make it quite difficult to measure.? This paucity of measurements makes it difficult to evaluate the accuracy of coronal models.? Efforts to measure, model, and predict the coronal magnetic field will be critical to understanding the evolution of plasma in the inner heliosphere in the era of the Parker Solar Probe and Solar Orbiter.? We invite submissions that describe recent efforts to characterize the coronal magnetic field through either models or observation, with a particular interest in works that use one to enhance or understand the other.? We also invite submissions that describe the additional data and/or projects needed to advance this topic.

Conveners: Shaela I. Jones, Nishu Karna, and Derek A. Lamb

*AGU Session SM017: Quantifying Uncertainty in Space Weather Modeling and Forecasting

Dear Colleagues,

Abstract submission is open for the Fall AGU meeting. We'd like to bring to your attention a session cutting across the disciplines in Space Physics and Aeronomy. Session SM017: Quantifying Uncertainty in Space Weather Modeling and Forecasting. If this sounds relevant to you, please consider submitting an abstract to this session. The session description is below.

The AGU meeting will be held December 10-14 2018 in Washington DC.  Further details about the meeting can be found at: fallmeeting.agu.org<http://fallmeeting.agu.org>. Abstract submissions are due before 23:59 Eastern Daylight Time on Wednesday, August 1st.

Regards,

Steve Morley (Los Alamos National Laboratory)

Gang Lu (National Center for Atmospheric Research)

Sophie Murray (Trinity College Dublin)

SM017: Quantifying Uncertainty in Space Weather Modeling and Forecasting

Dynamic solar outputs including flares, high-speed solar wind, and coronal mass ejections, drive responses in geospace that can have deleterious effects on technological systems. Further, upward propagation of atmospheric waves and tides produces natural variability in Earth's ionosphere and thermosphere. Many types of models are used to forecast, nowcast, or hindcast, space weather relevant quantities, but the uncertainty of these predictions is often not quantified or reported. Simulations of varying complexity are key to our understanding of the physics that drives space weather, and any simulation or forecast has uncertainty which can arise from a number of sources. These sources include uncertainties in the initial condition, uncertainties in input data, and approximations made in the construction of the model. The goal of this session is to showcase new research in ensemble modeling, probabilistic forecasting, model sensitivity studies, and other approaches to improve uncertainty quantification in space weather modeling and forecasting.

*AGU 2018 Fall Meeting Union Session U53A on Implicit Bias in Earth and Space Sciences

I would like to draw your attention to an AGU Union session on implicit bias in Earth and Space Sciences which will take place at the upcoming Fall meeting in Washington DC, on Friday the 14th of December 2018 from 1:40-3:40 pm.

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/preliminaryview.cgi/Session50265

Title: The Challenges of Recognizing Implicit Bias in Earth and Space Sciences and Strategies for Minimizing its Impact in the Coming Decades of the AGU

Session ID#: 50265

Session Description:

We invite AGU members for a panel session on implicit bias. Implicit bias

refers to attitudes that affect our decisions and evaluations without our

consciously realizing it. Implicit biases are an inherent part of the human

brain. Although the value and importance of diversity in science is beyond

dispute, implicit bias adversely influences proposal/journal reviews, how

recommendation letters are written, who is invited to professional

talks/panels, and who is heard during conference discussions. Implicit bias

affects hiring decisions, who is nominated for and receives awards and

funding, and who is promoted and encouraged in STEM. This session will

address how implicit decision-making occurs, and how we can reduce its

impact through awareness. An expert panel will present an overview of the

research and impacts; describe resources and positive actions our community

can take to reduce the impact of implicit bias. Time will be allocated for

audience discussion and questions.

Conveners:

Hazel M Bain, University of Colorado at Boulder

Alexa Jean Halford, Aerospace Corporation Chantilly

Blair Schneider, University of Kansas

The full session description and abstract listing can be found here

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/meetingapp.cgi/Session/5026

For those unable to attend, the session will be available On Demand with a recording available online within days, after the session at:  https://www.youtube.com/user/AGUvideos