[Shine-participants] SHINE July 2018 Newsletter

DE NOLFO, GEORGIA A. (GSFC-6720) georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov
Mon Jul 9 21:30:00 EDT 2018

SHINE Newsletter July 2018

Dear SHINE Community,

It’s just a few weeks until the 2018 SHINE workshop! Again, SHINE will take place from July 30th to August 3rd (student day July 29th) in Cocoa Beach, FL jointly at the Courtyard Marriott (posters) and Hilton (oral sessions). More details can be found at our website : www.shinecon.org<http://www.shinecon.org> .

IMPORTANT REMINDER: The Parker Solar Probe launch has been delayed until August 4th.  Due to the delay of the PSP launch, we have decided to modify the usual schedule for SHINE workshops, in particular returning to a 8:30 am start for the workshop each day.  Please visit our website for more details on schedule changes.  If you signed up to view PSP launch, SHINE has notified APL and you should have received confirmation.  Unfortunately, SHINE cannot help with tracking down confirmations, but please note that the launch is viewable form the beach front.

Looking forward to seeing you in Florida in a few weeks!

Sincerely,
Georgia A. de Nolfo
SHINE Steering Committee Chair

———————————————————————————————————

Contents:

  1.  SHINE 2018 Workshop Session Details
  2.  Second Call for Community Input to LWS TR&T Focused Science Topics
  3.  Doctoral and postdoctoral positions at the AIDA H2020 Consortium funded by the European Commission
  4.  Master’s Degree in Applied Space Weather Research at the Department of Physics at Catholic University of America (CUA)
  5.  The 2nd APSCO & ISSI-BJ Space Science School with EISCAT, Study Space Weather Effects From the Sun to the Ground

———————————————————————————————————-

1.  SHINE 2018 Workshop Details and PSP Launch

Changes to the SHINE Schedule:
Given the large number of sessions this year, we will not have our usual 4-minute session descriptions on Monday.  There will be an opportunity to show session descriptions as a one-slide display. Session organizers may want to consider taking advantage of this and submit their slides to either me or Noé Lugaz.  Given the delay of the Parker Solar Probe launch (now August 4, 2018), we have modified the schedule to begin the workshop, as usual, at 8:30 am each day.  There are some changes to the sessions times/days as well, so please check the current schedule on our website.

SHINE Town Halls

I.  “What’s Next for Space & Heliospheric Physics? “ (Monday/July 30 )           Organizers: Don Hassler, Sarah Gibson, Todd Hoeksema, Scott McIntosh, Jeff Newmark

Description: Solar and Heliospheric physics has experienced a golden age of discovery over the past 20+ years with such successful missions as SOHO, YOHKOH, RHESSI, ACE, TRACE, HINODE, IBEX, STEREO, SDO, etc. We are now preparing for the commissioning of DKIST and the launches of Parker Solar Probe, Solar Orbiter, and IMAP that will take Solar Physics to new frontiers. These projects promise exciting new observations and insights into the interfaces of the photosphere, corona, solar wind, and heliosphere.
But what is next -- after Solar Probe, Solar Orbiter, and IMAP? We are halfway between Decadal Surveys. The Space Studies Board of the National Academies is preparing to begin a mid-term assessment, and it is time for the community as a whole to start thinking about this process again. Given the long time scales associated with realizing space missions, and the rapid advances in technology, as well as our changing needs and understanding, it is healthy for the community to start thinking seriously about what comes next, both for ground-based and space-based observations.
Questions we should be thinking about include: What are the burning questions for understanding the solar & heliospheric system? What are the important unexplored places and domains of the Sun & heliosphere? What new technologies that enable exploration of these new domains can be exploited or need to be developed? How do we incorporate and prioritize the urgent practical goals of Space Weather in the community discussion, and how do we balance applied and pure science? What type of future missions should we be thinking about, and how should they be structured and organized?
Format & How to Contribute: This Town Hall is intended to stimulate this dialogue within the community, and to start to articulate and discuss arguments and advocacy for our next potential future missions and programs. The Town Hall will begin with a ~10 minute Scene Setting Introduction followed by a series of short (3-5 min) “Flash or Lightning” talks (1-2 slides) contributed by members of the community to stimulate discussion. If you would like to contribute or give a short Flash talk, please email 1-2 slides to shinetownhall at gmail.com<mailto:shinetownhall at gmail.com> by Friday, July 27.

II.  A Living with a Star Town Hall (Friday/August 3/9)
Community input to Living with a Star Targeted Research and Technology (LWS TR&T) Focused Science Topics for ROSES 2019 and beyond.  The main purpose of the Town Hall at SHINE would be to discuss and get comments on a new short list of about 15 LWS Targeted Research Topics. Some time after the SHINE Meeting, NASA will down-select from the short list to 4 or so Targeted Research Topics for the 2019 call for proposals.

2. Joint UTSA/SwRI Graduate Physics Program in San Antonio, TX

Since 2005, a physics graduate program has been offered in partnership between the University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA) and Southwest Research Institute (SwRI). UTSA is the second largest component university of The University of Texas System, with an enrollment of more than 28,000 students. SwRI's Space Science and Engineering Division is a leader in space physics and planetary science research with major involvement in numerous NASA missions. The participation by SwRI offers students a chance to be involved in many of the most exciting ongoing NASA missions (Juno, MMS, LRO, Van Allen Probes, New Horizons, TWINS, IBEX) and future missions (e.g., Europa Clipper, JUICE, BepiColombo, Parker Solar Probe, Solar Orbiter, and IMAP).

UTSA/SwRI graduate students engage in data analysis and instrument design & calibration, and even lead their own projects. Some past or current projects include (for example): analysis of Cassini observations of Enceladus’ water vapor plume, design of novel ion mass spectrometers, interpretation of the first New Horizons measurements from Pluto, and investigation of reconnection in Earth’s magnetosphere. During one year, the students in our laboratory class got to perform the calibration on one of the IBEX instruments now flying and obtaining phenomenal new observations of the interstellar boundary.

Our areas of space physics include:
Solar & Heliospheric physics
Planetary Science
Magnetospheric physics
Space Science instrumentation
Astrophysics

Our website is http://www.utsa.edu/physics/, with the joint program details at http://grad.space.swri.edu<http://grad.space.swri.edu/>.

The deadlines for application:
1 September 2018 for entry in Spring 2019.
1 February 2019 for entry in Fall 2019.

For application procedures and additional information: - Visit
http://graduateschool.utsa.edu/admissions/graduate-application/ and
http://grad.space.swri.edu/application/how_to_apply.html - Or contact
Professor Mihir Desai at mdesai at swri.edu<mailto:mdesai at swri.edu> or +1 210 522 6754. You are
welcome to talk directly to current graduate students at
utsaphysicsstudents at listsrv-svr.itc.swri.org<mailto:utsaphysicsstudents at listsrv-svr.itc.swri.org>.

Financial support is available to students through Research
Assistantships while conducting research for SwRI's Space Science and
Engineering Division (http://www.swri.edu<http://www.swri.edu/>).

3.  Heliophysics POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER Opportunity at SwRI, San Antonio.

The Space Research Department at SwRI, San Antonio is seeking applications for a postdoctoral researcher to carry out original research addressing the origin and acceleration of energetic particles in the interplanetary medium. The candidate will analyze suprathermal and energetic particles, as well as magnetic field and solar wind plasma data from Wind, ACE, and STEREO, and the upcoming Parker Solar Probe mission. The candidate is also expected to support the development and calibration of solar wind, pickup ion, suprathermal, and energetic particle instruments to be flown on upcoming heliophysics missions such as IMAP, publish results in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and present results at scientific meetings, workshops, and conferences. The research will involve interactions with Institute Staff engaged in a broad range of observational, computational, and theoretical research in the physics of the solar wind and suprathermal and energetic particles. The candidate should have a PhD degree in Space Physics or Plasma Physics, and have graduate-level experience in the analysis and interpretation of solar wind, magnetic field, and suprathermal particle datasets. The candidate must have at least a 3.0 GPA, and demonstrate the ability to program and utilize data analysis software tools such as IDL, C, or MATLAB.

To apply for this position go to
https://resapp.swri.org/ResApp/Job_Search_Results.aspx?DETAIL=15-01272.
For more information about SwRI visit
https://www.swri.org/technical-divisions/space-science-engineering

4.  JOB OPENING: NASA GSFC Civil Servant Position in SEP Theory/Modeling

The Space Weather Laboratory (Code 674), NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, is seeking a highly skilled scientist to provide expertise in theory, modeling, and numerical simulation of the acceleration and transport of solar energetic particles (SEPs), with particular emphasis on SEP model modification/development, validation, and testing; and participation in the CCMC’s ongoing collaboration with SRAG at Johnson SFC to develop SEP prediction capabilities. The position also involves maximizing scientific return from upcoming NASA heliospheric missions (e.g., IMAP and PSP), and assisting with planning and design of new energetic-particle instruments and missions. Candidates should have experience with developing or modifying numerical codes, and with comparing model predictions with observations from NASA missions and ground-based instrumentation. A Ph.D. degree in physics, space physics, computational physics, or related discipline, and a proven track record of obtaining research funding, are highly desirable.

This is a civil servant position with NASA, for which U.S. citizenship is required.  Applications at the GS13 or GS14 level are being accepted through the following USAJOBS web site from 15 June – 13 July 2018. GS-13/14: http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/502487600
A guide to the application process can be found at https://applyonline.nasa.gov/applicant_guide.html.
For additional questions, please contact Judy Karpen (Chief, Space Weather Laboratory) via email at the address given above. NASA GSFC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

5. Upcoming FALL AGU Sessions

Session Title: SH018:  Physics of a Global Heliosphere
Abstract Submission: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/sh/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=44483

Session Description:
Our Sun’s interaction with the interstellar medium creates boundaries and regions in the distant heliosphere and perturbs the local interstellar medium. Our understanding of this interaction is bolstered by in situ observations of the distant heliosphere from Voyager and remote-sensing observations from spacecraft closer to Earth e.g. IBEX, Cassini/INCA, SoHO/SWAN and HSTOF.  Other near-Earth spacecraft also measure variations in the solar wind plasma, particle distributions, and magnetic field. To obtain a full picture of the global heliosphere all of these data must be combined with theory and models of the underlying plasma physics. As we prepare for IMAP, it will be particularly important to understand how in situ measurements can be connected to remote-sensing data, and what role models can play in providing a reliable framework. We invite abstracts on data analysis, theoretical and numerical studies which give fresh insight into the physics of the global heliosphere.
• Conveners: Joe Giacalone<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Home/Person/29283>, Mihir Indrajit Desai<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Home/Person/56992>,

——
Session Title: SH014:  Origin of Neutrals and Singly Ionized Atoms in the Corona and Interplanetary space
Abstracts are invited to the session SH014, "Origin of Neutrals and Singly Ionized Atoms in the Corona and Interplanetary space" at the AGU Fall Meeting, Washington D.C., 10 - 14 December 2018.
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, 1 August 23:59 EDT. Please note that AGU will not accept any late abstracts.
Session ID: 44536
Session Description:Recent spectroscopic observations acquired during the total solar eclipses of 2015 and 2017 revealed the presence of filamentary hot coronal material with cool inclusions of neutral (He, H, Fe, Mg) and singly and doubly ionized atoms, most likely associated with CME fronts, streaming away at several 100?s to over 1000 km/s. A handful of cases of distinct bright inclusions of prominence material within the filamentary features of a CME front have also been reported in LASCO/C2, C3 and STEREO observations. In-situ measurements of low ionization states of different species at the few percent level within CMEs, have been attributed to prominence material. Observations of low ionized atoms from SOHO/UVCS observations, were attributed to interstellar neutral atoms, or even to neutrals produced by plasma-dust interaction. This session invites contributions from observers and modelers, to explore the possible sources of neutrals and low-ionization plasmas in the corona and interplanetary space.
We welcome contributions on the current state of our empirical and theoretical knowledge regarding the presence and origin of neutrals and low-charge ions from the inner corona to the solar wind, with an emphasis on the upcoming Parker Solar Probe and Solar Orbiter missions, and ground-based facilities such as DKIST.
Primary Convener: Shadia Habbal
Co-conveners: Vincenzo Andretta, Daniele Spadaro, Angelos Vourlidas

___________________________

Session Title: Near Real-Time/Low Latency Data for Earth Science and Space Weather Applications
We would like to draw your attention to the following Earth and Space Science Informatics session at the 2018 Fall AGU Meeting, 10-14 December 2018 in Washington DC.
SessionID: 46340
SessionTitle: IN050 Near Real-Time/Low Latency Data for Earth Science and Space Weather Applications
Section: Earth and Space Science Informatics
Session Viewer Link: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/46340
Conveners: Michael Goodman/NASA MSFC, Gerald Bawden/NASA HQ, Diane Davies/Trigg-Davies Consulting/SSAI/NASA GSFC, and Brad Zavodsky/NASA MSFC
Live Stream: Yes
Session Description: Near real-time and low latency data from satellite, airborne (including UAVs), and surface sensors are transforming existing end-user applications and spawning new ones.  These applications demonstrate the utility of timely data in diverse Earth and space science disciplines including weather prediction, river forecasting, natural and human-caused hazards, public health, agriculture, marine, early warning and space weather applications.  In addition to traditional computer analyses, the use of apps for smartphones and tablets presents an opportunity to improve and expand the timely usage of data products and services.  This session seeks contributions that demonstrate the benefit of near real-time / low latency scientific or social media data, and identify gaps in current capabilities.
We held this session last year (2017) and it was one of the more popular sessions with the Earth Science Informatics (IN) track and we anticipate it to be as popular this year.  This session is cross listed in Natural Hazards, Space Physics and Aeronomy/Solar and Heliophysics (SH) and Hydrology (H).  We expect considerable and diverse interest in the topic and we are looking forward to an enjoyable and informative session.
We encourage you to contribute to our discussion on near real-time and low latency data for Earth science and space weather applications

Index Terms
1863 Snow and Ice [HYDROLOGY]
3360 Remote Sensing [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]
4315 Monitoring, forecasting and prediction [NATURAL HAZARDS]
7924 Forecasting [SPACE WEATHER]

Please note that the abstract deadline is Wednesday, 1 August 2018 (2359 EDT), so please plan accordingly and submit your abstract soon. The first author must be an AGU member.  To submit an abstract please follow this link: //fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/abstract-submissions<http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/abstract-submissions>/<https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/abstract-submissions/>
If you are not an AGU member, then you can join at https://membership.agu.org/join-renew
Visit the 2018 AGU Fall Meeting website<http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018> for the most up to date information about the meeting.
Note: Registration and housing will be open in mid-August
Authors will be informed in September regarding the data and format (oral or poster) of their presentation
Here is a link to all the AGU sessions: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/preliminaryview.cgi/programs.html
We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for considering this opportunity to share your research and science application insights.  You may receive multiple postings of this email as we are seeking to distribute the announcement broadly to reach as many disciplines as appropriate.
Finally, if you have questions about our session, please do not "reply all", rather send your questions to Michael Goodman, Gerald Bawden, Diane Davies, and/or Brad Zavodsky at the email addresses immediately below.

6. Postdoctoral Research Position at the University of Iowa

[pastedGraphic.png]