[Shine-participants] Scientist 3 Opening at Los Alamos, NM

DE NOLFO, GEORGIA A. (GSFC-6720) georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 15 09:42:44 EDT 2017

Job Title

Scientist 3

Location

Los Alamos, NM, US

Organization Name

ISR-1/Space Science & Applications

What You Will Do
ISR-1 supports monitoring of the atmosphere and near-Earth space for nuclear detonations by providing satellite-borne gamma-ray, X-ray, and neutron detectors to the US government.  Similarly, our charged-particle detectors support measurement of the natural environment. We have an international reputation in the detection of nuclear phenomenology and in the data analysis, simulation and modeling of the natural environment. ISR-1 is engaged in a number of pioneering basic-science missions, greatly enhancing our research and contributing to our technological base. Our many postdocs and affiliates are key collaborators. These science programs cover several disciplines, including magnetospheric physics, planetary exploration, gamma-ray astrophysics, space situational awareness, and solar-terrestrial interactions. The group is currently seeking scientists for ongoing programs and to develop future applied and basic science missions.

What You Will Need
ISR division capabilities include engineering design and fabrication, spacecraft integration, ground system support and on-orbit operation.  Scientists in ISR are expected to become self-supported or critical to the execution of larger programs.  We seek candidates who will contribute exceptionally to more than one mission area.
Minimum Job Requirements

  *   Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team, with good communication skills. Successful scientists are encouraged to nurture university collaborations or industrial partnerships.
  *   Demonstrated experience with the development and application of innovative energetic radiation, plasma, or particle instruments
  *   Demonstrated record of recent publications in peer-reviewed journals, patents, or contributions to major reports
  *   Exceptional simulation and modeling skills in space plasma physics or radiation transport and effects
  *   Experience with mission and/or system design, performance modeling and assessment, requirements definition and specifications, integration and testing
  *   Demonstrated leadership in past or current role with regard to a space science mission
  *   Demonstrated ability to secure funding for multi-year projects, supported by DOE, DOD, NASA, or other US agencies
  *   Candidates should have the ability to obtain a DOE “Q” clearance which normally requires US citizenship
Education:  Scientist candidates are required to have a Ph.D. degree and a minimum of 3 years experience.

Additional Details:
Clearance:  Q (Position will be cleared to this level).  Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter.
*Eligibility requirements:  To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to a regular status only with approval of the cognizant Principal Associate Director.
Equal Opportunity:  Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations.  The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to applyhelp at lanl.gov<mailto:applyhelp at lanl.gov> or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.

Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security.  LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
The Space Science and Applications group (ISR-1) in the Intelligence and Space Research (ISR) division leads a variety of civilian and defense-related programs sponsored by DOE, DOD, NASA, and other US agencies. In support of these missions, we develop sensors to detect nuclear emissions and measure natural and man-made radiations in space. ISR-1 capabilities extend from mission concept to design and calibration, data analysis, simulation and modeling.

Appointment Type

Regular

Regular

Minimum Salary