[Shine-participants] SHINE 2nd June newsletter: Call for poster judges, GS portfolio review, SHINE 17 and 18 announcements

Noé Lugaz nlugaz at guero.sr.unh.edu
Fri Jun 16 12:34:14 EDT 2017

SHINE Newsletter June 16 2017

Dear SHINE Community!

Items:

1- SHINE 2017 Student Poster Competition: Call for Judges
2- Geospace Science Section Portfolio Review
3- SHINE 2017 Public Transportation
4- SHINE 2017 Upcoming Deadlines
5- SHINE 2018: Save the Date!

1- SHINE 2017: Student Poster Competition: Call for Judges

We will be holding our first-ever SHINE student poster competition this year. Therefore, we are looking for volunteers willing to judge 2-5 student posters. The judging will take place during the normal poster times (Monday and Tuesday 5-7pm and Thursday 3:30pm - 6:30pm). Judges do not have to sign up for all three days and will decide how many posters they judge. Judges will be given a judging form to fill for each poster they judge. This will only go forward this year if enough judges sign up, so please let the Student Representatives: Jimmy Juno ( jjuno at terpmail.umd.edu <mailto:jjuno at terpmail.umd.edu> ) and Samaiyah Farid ( samaiyah.farid at cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:samaiyah.farid at cfa.harvard.edu> ) know as soon as possible if you are willing to judge and how many posters you are willing to see. This student poster competitions is a suggestion directly from the students, some of who have felt that their posters often end up lost in the sea of ~200 SHINE posters. This will allow them to practice their presentation skills and will add an incentive for them to bring their best to SHINE!

2- Geospace Science Section Portfolio Review:

Access to the three reports concerning the NSF’s Geospace Science Section Portfolio Review – Investments in Critical Capabilities for Geospace Science 2016 to 2025 (ICCGS) – including the NAS’ Assessment Report (NASAR) on the ICCGS and the accompanying Geospace Section responses, is now available on the Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences Update web page at: https://www.nsf.gov/geo/ags/updates/index.jsp <https://www.nsf.gov/geo/ags/updates/index.jsp>

3- SHINE 2017 Public Transportation:

There are two buses per day from downtown Montreal to go to Saint Sauveur but none directly from the YUL Trudeau airport. We are working with a company to charter a bus to do round-trips to the hotel on Saturday, Sunday and Friday. Please register as soon as possible in the following google doc page, if you wish to take a bus from and/or to the airport. Students should also register their arrival/departure flight times. We need to reserve the buses by Friday June 23rd, so please fill up your arrival/departure times asap.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fKaKfJiQJ8757dHxe_6yJvOYeMrpuq6wPWuqA6zl4_A/edit#gid=0 <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fKaKfJiQJ8757dHxe_6yJvOYeMrpuq6wPWuqA6zl4_A/edit#gid=0>

With the current number of interested SHINEers, we might only be able to offer 3 bus departures on Saturday and 3 bus departures on Sunday. Expected price is $30-40 USD per person each way. About 50 people would need to sign up for one day for us to offer 3 additional bus departures on that day.
With 3 bus departures, we are looking at departures from the airport at times around 1:00pm, 5:30 pm and 10:00 pm (slightly adjustable). More people need to sign up before I can figure out best times for return the airport on Friday.

To note:
- If you arrive on any other day than Saturday or Sunday, and leave on any other day than Friday, there won’t be SHINE buses
- If you arrive at between 11pm and 5am, I am afraid we will not be able to charter a bus at these times. However:
- Options with the bus company for 10 or less passengers include a private car for 2 people for $300 USD and a small bus for 3-10 for ~$600 USD. On Saturday, when we have students arriving late (11:50pm), we will either charter a small bus or rent a minivan.

4- SHINE 2017 Upcoming Deadlines:

This is reminder that registration, hotel reservation and abstract submission for SHINE 2017 have deadlines on June 23rd. You need to register by this deadline to attend SHINE, even if you want or need to pay in person at the venue.

5- SHINE 2018: Save the Date:

We are pleased to announce that the 2018 SHINE workshop will take place in Cocoa Beach, FL from July 30, 2018 to August 3, 2018 (student day on July 29). It will be jointly held at the Hilton and DoubleTree. Further details will be communicated at the SHINE 2017 workshop and through future newsletters.

See you in Saint Sauveur next month and in Cocoa Beach in 2018!

Sincerely,

Noé Lugaz
SHINE Workshop Coordinator