[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter, August 2017

DE NOLFO, GEORGIA A. (GSFC-6720) georgia.a.denolfo at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 18 14:10:49 EDT 2017

SHINE Newsletter August 2017

Dear SHINE Community!

We had a wonderful workshop this year in Saint-Sauveur, Quebec, Canada and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you for helping to make SHINE 2017 a success. We include a few announcements for August below.

I hope everyone has a chance to experience the upcoming solar eclipse!

Sincerely,
Georgia A. de Nolfo
SHINE Steering Committee Chair

———————————————————————————————————

Contents:

  1.  New SHINE Personnel
  2.  Associate or Assistant Professor in solar, space or planetary science, University of New Hampshire
  3.  Solar Eclipse predictions through Predictive Science — reminder!

———————————————————————————————————-

  1.  New SHINE Personnel

After the SHINE 2017 Workshop, three of the nine SHINE Steering Committee members rotated off the Committee: Michael Shay, KD Leka, and Nick Arge. Many thanks to Michael, KD, and Nick for their wonderful service to SHINE! The Steering Committee is welcoming three new members: Kathy Reeves, Marc DeRosa, and Ben Maruca. All three have been active contributors to past workshops, and we're very fortunate that they will be helping to steer SHINE over the next three years.  Welcome Kathy, Marc,  and Ben!

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank this year’s SHINE Student Representatives, Jimmy Juno and Samaiyah Farid. Jimmy will be rotating off this year and has done a fantastic job.  We would like to welcome the new student representative, Emily Lichko.

2.  Associate or Assistant Professor in solar, space or planetary science
University of New Hampshire
Department of Physics and Space Science Center

The Department of Physics and the Space Science Center at the University of New Hampshire (UNH) invite applications for a tenure-track position in Physics with joint appointment in the Space Science Center at the rank of Associate or Assistant Professor beginning August, 2018, in the areas of solar, space, or planetary science. The successful applicant can expect to interact with highly active research groups in solar and space science, lunar science and astrophysics. Applicants are sought in the leadership and development of strong experimental research programs in solar, heliospheric, magnetospheric, geospace, ionospheric, and upper atmospheric research and/or experimental programs in planetary science.  UNH is a research university on the beautiful New Hampshire seacoast, roughly an hour north of Boston, with significant resources in engineering, world-class laboratories, and a ~60 year history of leadership in space science missions. UNH has been involved with and committed to instrument design and fabrication, science operations, data analysis, sophisticated numerical modeling and theory. UNH involvement and leadership extends over an enormous array of missions including MMS, Solar Orbiter, Solar Probe Plus, GOES, IBEX, RBSP, Firebird, BalloonWinds, Equator-S, ACE, Cluster, STEREO, Wind, Polar, FAST, SMM, Compton GRO, OSO-7.   In addition, UNH has excellent computational resources including a CRAY XE6m-200 supercomputer, and houses leading theory and modeling groups in space science. The successful candidate will have a strong track record of research accomplishments, and a demonstrated track record in securing external grant funding. The candidate should be enthusiastic about teaching physics and space science classes at the undergraduate and graduate levels.  Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Physics, Astronomy, or a related field. Review of applications will begin on Oct. 16, 2017. The application package should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, brief summaries of teaching interests and future research plans and the names of three references. Please apply directly online at: https://jobs.usnh.edu/.  Inquiries about the position should be directed to Prof. Nathan Schwadron at nschwadron at unh.edu<mailto:nschwadron at unh.edu>. The Southwest Research Institute's Department of Earth, Oceans, and Space (SwRI-EOS) is co-located and shares facilities with the UNH Space Science Center. UNH and SwRI staff collaborate heavily on joint research efforts. The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S. For a more comprehensive job description, visit http://physics.unh.edu/jobs .

3. Solar Eclipse predictions through Predictive Science
The solar physics team at Predictive Science is once again predicting the structure of the corona for the upcoming eclipse, which will occur on August 21, 2012 .  This eclipse will be will be visible across the entire contiguous United States, and will trace out a band, approximately 70 miles wide across fourteen states, being first visible shortly after 10:15am PDT at Oregon's Pacific coast, and finally finishing in Charleston, South Carolina. Our preliminary prediction, which was posted on July 31st, can be viewed at http://www.predsci.com/  in the "Latest News" section on the right-hand side of the page.  The prediction will be updated during the upcoming weeks, resulting a final prediction approximately one week before the event.

Our model relies on 3-D, resistive, time-dependent magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) equations to predict the state of the corona.  Photospheric magnetic field data from the HMI instrument aboard SDO are used to specify the boundary condition on the radial magnetic field.  This year, for the first time, we are using a new Wave-Turbulence-Driven model to self-consistently capture the large-scale propagation, reflection, and dissipation of wave turbulence along closed coronal loops.   Such a model also allows us to predict emission in extreme ultraviolet (EUV) wavelengths and X-rays, which can be compared with solar observations from spacecraft such as SDO, STEREO, and Hinode.  Additionally, we have increased the number of mesh points used to 65 million, allowing us to capture even more spatial structure. This work is supported by NASA, NSF,  and AFOSR, and computations are supported by the Texas Advanced Computing Center at Austin and the NASA Advanced Supercomputing division at Ames.  A direct link to our prediction page is:
http://www.predsci.com/corona/aug2017eclipse/aug2017eclipse.html