[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter

Benjamin Chandran benjamin.chandran at unh.edu
Tue Mar 24 09:25:30 EDT 2015

SHINE Newsletter, March 24, 2015.

1.  Dunn Solar Telescope and Sunspot Facility

2.  Measurement Techniques in Solar and Space Physics (MTSSP)

3.  NASA Living With a Star Institute: Call for Proposals

1.  Dunn Solar Telescope and Sunspot Facility
From: James McAteer (mcateer at nmsu.edu)

A consortium of universities and institutes are preparing a plan to retain and reinvent the Dunn Solar Telescope and Sunspot facility after 2017.

We have had discussions with several interested partners, including NSF and NSO, and universities from the US and abroad. Our vision is to form a consortium to keep this important
facility available for a combination of research, training, education, instrumentation, workshops, and public outreach. Other research directions, such as solar system studies, are also up for consideration.

We are soliciting new and creative ideas and suggestion for these activities and would like to invite anyone interested in joining to assist in any aspects of this endeavor. We invite input of your thoughts, questions, and input as we move forward. A 1-day workshop will be held at Sunspot, NM on Wednesday, May 27 to discuss detailed plans. This is an open meeting and everyone is invited to attend.

Please direct inquiries to
James McAteer (mcateer at nmsu.edu)
New Mexico State University
on behalf of all the consortium partners.

2. Measurement Techniques in Solar and Space Physics (MTSSP)
From: Susanne DeMaree (sdemaree at ucar.edu)

Measurement Techniques in Solar and Space Physics (MTSSP)
April 20-24 2015 - NCAR Center Green Campus, Boulder, CO

Registration is open! - Early Bird Deadline: 10 April

This gathering was born out of the desire to collect in one place the latest experiment technologies required for advancement of scientific knowledge in the discipline of Solar and Space Physics.

There are two goals for this conference and the associated publication of its content: (a) to describe measurement techniques and technology development needed to advance high priority science in the fields of solar and space physics, and (b) to provide a survey or reference of techniques for in situ measurement and remote sensing of space plasmas.

For details and registration, please visit the site at https://mtssp.msfc.nasa.gov/.

3.  NASA Living With a Star Institute: Call for Proposals
From: Susanne DeMaree (sdemaree at ucar.edu)

See attachment.