[Shine-participants] Sunspot Solar Observing Consortium.

R.T.James McAteer mcateer at nmsu.edu
Mon Jul 13 18:22:09 EDT 2015

The Sunspot Solar Observing Consortium (SSOC) recently held a workshop in Sunspot to discuss the future of the Dunn Solar Telescope after NSO leaves the site in October 2017. The meeting consisted of scientific, instrumentation, and education partners interested in the future of the Sunspot site.

One of the important outcomes of the workshop was to develop an operations plan and proposed budget to communicate to the broad solar community. We propose to run the telescope in a ~40%-time synoptic mode with limited set up, ~40%-time available to PI-led projects, and ~20%-time maintenance and upgrades. The cost of such operations is about $100,000 per month. NSF has expressed a strong commitment to make a significant contribution, if a consortium can come up with at least 50% of the annual costs. In addition, NSF will also retain ownership and liability of the site, removing this burden from the consortium.

The SSOC is now searching for new consortium members at an annual $50,000-$100,000 level for a commitment of 3-5years. As a consortium member, each institute will be
- Allocated annual 2-4 weeks observing with all available instruments,
- Given access to the stabilized AO-light and optical benches for instrument development,
- Provided with a seat on the executive board, which includes determining the solar physics and space weather facets of the synoptic program at the DST,
- Apportioned membership on the time-allocation committee,
- Provided free accommodation at the telescope for PhD students on observing runs,
- Covered for 50% publication costs for papers led by PhD students resulting from an observing run,
- Assisted by observers at the telescope during an observing run,
- Given access to shared software for reducing and post-processing of the data.

Given the timescale for securing funding, cross-over training, and transfer of knowledge, we would like to now identity all possible routes for consortium funds. With such a consortium in place by the end of 2015, we can move forward so as to leave the SSOC with the best possible scientific observing site, with telescope and site maintenance and cross-over training (funding permitting). A consortium proposal would be submitted to NSF in Spring 2016 and the SSOC would begin management and operations in October 2017.

To meet this schedule, we would like new consortium members to be able to identify likely avenues of funding by December 31st, 2015.

We are now seeking new consortium partners, with an emphasis on attracting institutes who may be interested in preparing faculty or students for DKIST data, or who may be considering moving into ground-based instrumentation. If you have an interest in the scientific, instrumentation, or educational aspects of the SSOC, please send a brief statement of interest to mcateer at nmsu.edu<mailto:mcateer at nmsu.edu>

James McAteer,
On behalf of the SSOC