[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter

Benjamin Chandran benjamin.chandran at unh.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:54:22 EDT 2014

SHINE Newsletter, October, 2014.

Contents:

1. 2015 SHINE Workshop: July 6-10, Stowe, Vermont.

2. Call for Session Proposals for the 2015 SHINE Workshop (Deadline: Jan. 15)

3. New SHINE Steering Committee Members

4. Triennial Earth-Sun Summit (TESS)

5. SCOSTEP Visiting Scholar Program.

1. 2015 SHINE Workshop: July 6-10, Stowe, Vermont.

The 2015 SHINE Workshop will be held from July 6 to July 10 at the Stoweflake Mountain Resort and Spa in Stowe, Vermont (http://www.stoweflake.com/index.aspx). The resort is at an altitude of 800 ft and is located 35 miles from Burlington Airport.  Student Day will be July 5.

2. Call for Session Proposals for the 2015 SHINE Workshop

If there is a topic that you would like to see included in next year's Workshop, please consider proposing a session. Session proposals can be very brief (about one page), should include a list of questions that the session will focus on, and can be emailed to me at benjamin.chandran at unh.edu. More detailed guidelines for session organizers are included on the SHINE website, www.shinecon.org (see the first link in the right sidebar of that web page).

The deadline for submitting session proposals is January 15, 2015.

3. New SHINE Steering Committee Members

After this past SHINE Workshop, three of the nine SHINE Steering Committee members rotated off the committee: Bill Matthaeus, Joan Burkepile, and Doug Biesecker.  Many thanks to Bill, Joan, and Doug for three years of great service to SHINE!

It is my pleasure to announce that the Steering Committee is welcoming three new members: Nick Arge, K.D. Leka, and Mike Shay. All three have made great contributions to past workshops, and we're very fortunate that they will be helping to organize the next three workshops.

4. Triennial Earth-Sun Summit (TESS)

From: Jim Klimchuk (James.A.Klimchuk at nasa.gov)

       Mark your calendars for the Triennial Earth-Sun Summit next April. Think of TESS as an improved version of the old Spring AGU meetings. It's just us (the SPA community), so no getting lost in the crowd, and it places greater emphasis on inter-disciplinary interactions, both in the formal science sessions and the informal social events. Check out the website at http://aas.org/meetings/tess2015, where you will find the following meeting description.

       The Triennial Earth-Sun Summit (TESS) is a joint meeting of the Space Physics and Aeronomy Section of the American Geophysical Union and the Solar Physics Division of the American Astronomical Society. The inaugural meeting will take place 26 April-1 May, 2015 in Indianapolis. TESS is intended to be a gathering of the entire Heliophysics community, including the four traditional sub-disciplines devoted to studies of the Sun, heliosphere, magnetosphere, and ionosphere-thermosphere-mesosphere. The overarching goal is to promote greater interaction and unity within this community. The meeting site has been selected to provide an excellent environment for this to occur, and the scientific and social programs are being designed with this goal in mind. In particular, the scientific program will include plenary talks covering each of the sub-disciplines, as well as inter-disciplinary and discipline-specific sessions with invited and contributed talks and posters. Some sessions will be led by organizers selected by the Scientific Organizing Committee (“AGU style”), while others will be created by the SOC after the abstracts have been submitted (“SPD style”). Further information can be found at http://aas.org/meetings/tess2015 or by contacting Co-Chairs Jim Klimchuk (James.A.Klimchuk at nasa.gov) and Dana Longcope (dana at physics.montana.edu). We invite you to join us for this exciting inaugural event!

5. SCOSTEP Visiting Scholar Program.

From: Maura Hagan (hagan at ucar.edu)

Dear colleagues,

The Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP) announces the establishment of a new capacity building activity, the SCOSTEP Visiting Scholar (SVS) program. In the paragraphs below we describe our vision for SVS and solicit your help in the identification of institutional partners for the SVS program implementation plan.

As you may know, SCOSTEP is an interdisciplinary body of the International Council for Science, which strives to bring together different scientific disciplines to address scientific issues of international relevance. The SVS program will complement the current scientific program and public outreach activities of SCOSTEP.

The objective of the SVS program is to provide training to young scientists and graduate students from developing countries in well-established solar terrestrial physics laboratories, for periods of between one and three months. Our aim is to fund four scholars each year, one related to each of the four SCOSTEP VarSITI themes (http://www.varsiti.org/). The training will help the young scientists to advance their career in solar terrestrial physics using the technique/skill they learned during the training. SCOSTEP will provide the airfare, while it is expected that the hosting lab will provide the living expenses (lodging, meals, ground transportation, visa fees and other incidentals). Trainees should have their own health insurance or arrange a provision with the host
lab.

We envision that the SVS process will operate in conjunction with existing visiting scientist schemes with similar aims, whether organized by individual laboratories or other programs. For the first call therefore, we wish to identify existing schemes that would be willing to partner with SVS in this capacity building effort. Please contact the SCOSTEP Scientific Secretary Marianna Shepherd (mshepher at yorku.ca) to register your institution and/or program as an SVS partner.

We look forward to hearing from you, and to your engagement in this capacity building enterprise.

The SCOSTEP SVS committee: M. Grande (chair), M. Hagan, N. Vilmer, A. Yoshikawa, B. Rabiu, J.-P.Raulin.

Prof. Manuel Grande
Aberystwyth University
Penglais, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3BZ,
Wales, UK.
Phone: (44)1970 622624, Fax: (44)1970 622826, Mobile: (44) 7881 858945
Email M.Grande at aber.ac.uk