[Shine-participants] SHINE Newsletter

Benjamin Chandran benjamin.chandran at unh.edu
Thu Jan 30 10:51:58 EST 2014

SHINE Newsletter, January 30, 2014

Dear SHINE Participants,

I hope the New Year finds you all well and that you are looking
forward to the upcoming 2014 SHINE Workshop in Telluride, CO, June
23-27.

The SHINE Newsletter is below --- please note especially item 1.

Best regards,

Ben Chandran

Contents of Newsletter

1. Call for session proposals for the 2014 Workshop. (Extended
deadline: Feb. 20)

2. 2014 Workshop: deadlines for student support requests, hotel
reservations, registration, and abstract submission.

3. New SHINE Steering Committee member.

4. Open letter to NASA's leadership from the SHINE Steering Committee

5. Visiting Young Scientist position at Dartmouth College

6. Waves/turbulence session at AOGS-2014 in Japan

1. Call for session proposals for the 2014 Workshop. (Extended
deadline: Feb. 20)

Many thanks to the people who have sent in proposals for sessions at
the upcoming Workshop. The Steering Committee has received ten
proposals on the following topics: earth-affecting CMEs, active-region
eruptions, turbulence observations, turbulence dissipation,
reconnection in the chromosphere, space-weather forecasting,
heliophysical models, heavy-ion heating, solar-wind electrons, and
waves in the solar atmosphere.  We are hoping to receive additional
proposals to broaden the scientific program and so are extending the
deadline for session proposals to Feb. 20.  If you know of an exciting
topic or problem in your area of research that would lend itself to
open discussion and/or debate, then please consider submitting a
session proposal. Session proposals should consist of a very brief
(<~1 page) description of the topic, including list of the science
questions that the session will focus on. Session proposals can be
emailed to me (email address: benjamin.chandran at unh.edu).

2. 2014 Workshop: deadlines for student support requests, hotel
reservations, registration, and abstract submission.

The deadline for requests for support for student travel is March 7. A
link to the ``Student Financial Support Application'' is on the
right-hand side of the SHINE website (http://www.shinecon.org). The
deadline for hotel reservations is May 21. The ``early-bird''
registration deadline is May 21.  The abstract submission deadline is
May 31. See the SHINE website (http://www.shinecon.org) for more
details.

3. New SHINE Steering Committee member.

I am very pleased to announce that Marty Lee has agreed to join the
SHINE Steering Committee for a three-year term. Marty's enthusiasm and
scientific expertise will be a terrific asset to the Committee and
SHINE.

4. Open letter to NASA's leadership from the SHINE Steering Committee

After careful consideration, the SHINE Steering Committee decided to
write an open letter to our NASA leadership to advocate for greater
support for NASA's Heliophysics Division. A copy of this letter is
attached.

5. Visiting Young Scientist position at Dartmouth College

From Kristina Lynch (Kristina.A.Lynch at dartmouth.edu)

Visiting Young Scientist: A visiting appointment for a recent
Ph.D. scientist is available at Dartmouth College.  The appointment
would be for up to 6 months during academic year 2014-2015. The
position includes teaching in the departments of Physics and
Astronomy, Engineering, or Earth Sciences.  Extension of appointment
may be possible using appropriate sponsored research projects.  To
qualify, candidates must be U.S. citizens engaged in research related
to space science, planetary science, astrophysics, remote sensing,
aerospace technology, or technology dependent on space-based
platforms.  To apply, send a 1-2 page summary of teaching and research
goals, curriculum vitae, and the names of three references to:
Visiting Young Scientist, c/o K A Lynch, Department of Physics and
Astronomy, Dartmouth College, 6127 Wilder Hall, Hanover, NH 03755.
For more information, e-mail kal at dartmouth.edu.  Applications will be
reviewed beginning in February 2014.  The position is funded by NASA
NH Space Grant. Dartmouth College is committed to diversity in hiring,
and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.

6. Waves/turbulence session at AOGS-2014 in Japan

From: Jiansen He (jshept at pku.edu.cn)

Dear Friends,

I would like to draw your attention to our session in the coming
AOGS-2014 in Japan. The topic of our session is “Waves and Turbulence
in the Solar Atmosphere and Heliosphere”.

Please note that the deadline for the abstract submission is February
11th, 2014. Your contributions to our session are highly
appreciated. I would be also grateful if this information could be
circulated among your colleagues.

Thanks you and best regards,

Jiansen He

Following is the session information:

Session title:  Waves and Turbulence in the Solar Atmosphere and Heliosphere
Session code: ST27
Convener: Jiansen He (Peking University, China), jshept at pku.edu.cn
Co-conveners: Dr. Bo Li (Shandong University, China), bbl at sdu.edu.cn
Dr. De-Jin Wu (Purple Mountain Observatory,CAS, China), djwu at pmo.ac.cn
Dr. Elizabeth Jensen (Planetary Science Institute, United States),
ejensen at psi.edu

Session description: Waves and turbulence in the solar atmosphere and
heliosphere are a critical topic from the perspective of both solar
physics and space physics. Remote-sensing observations have recently
identified all three types of Magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) waves in the
solar atmosphere. Numerical MHD simulations are also upgraded to
investigate how they are generated and dissipated. Meanwhile, the
possible roles of kinetic waves in the solar atmosphere are explored
theoretically and their applications to the observed phenomena are
also discussed. Solar wind turbulence in interplanetary space
continues to be intensively investigated, with remarkable
observational and theoretical progresses in terms of wave-vector
anisotropy, nature of turbulence at kinetic scales, intermittent
heating, and so on. Solar wind models are also improved to involve
more realistic features of waves and turbulence. In this session, we
solicit contributions on both observational analysis and theoretical
modeling of the solar atmosphere and heliosphere in general, those on
dynamics at scales much smaller than traditionally handled in the MHD
framework in particular. We hope to get a comprehensive overview of
what we have known about the waves and turbulence, and to discuss the
possible innovations and breakthroughs in the future.