[premise-users] Premise update 1/10/20

Robert Anderson rea at sr.unh.edu
Fri Jan 10 20:02:04 EST 2020

During the past week a number of issues have been resolved.Additional
BeeGFS tuning has been done.  However, one significant performance
issue related to linux file system caching remains.  BeeGFS does not
use the linux file system cache, so job workloads that repeatedly re-
read the exact same file(s) experience significantly slower
access.  Some runtimes have been estimated to be more than one  order
of magnitude longer.  COLSA users appear to be affected the most since
this access model is common in bioinformatic sequence assembly
workloads.
A number of groups have decided to continue using the old Lustre
storage until we are able to close the above mentioned  runtime
gap.  The PI of any group may choose to go return to using Lustre home
areas if this caching problem provides a hardship to their research
objectives.  This choice does come with risk, since the Lustre hardware
is aging and no longer under maintenance.  Unless your group is greatly
impacted RCC would suggest you remain on the supported BeeGFS storage.
Updates have been complete this week to address:
  Forced password change errors related to expired passwords  A brief
network drop between the login node and the slurm server that occurred
every 18 minutes.  Allow users  write access to the old lustre
storage.  Changed some high traffic software and user home areas back
to lustre storage.  Anaconda package updates and changes to reflect
environment changes.  (Probably additional changes that we've managed
to forget...)
If you are experiencing any problems please let us know.  Missing
licenses and other minor configuration issues  often remain
undiscovered for weeks after changes like these.  Please check early,
before you really need it.
If you have been waiting for the dust to settle on this storage
migration, we hope that it finally has.  You should consider the
Premise system to be fully back online, and start running your jobs
again.
Thanks for you patience, and have a good weekend.
--
Robert Anderson <rea at sr.unh.edu>
UNH RCC