[premise-users] Premise downtime scheduled for Monday 12/16 through Wednesday 12/18

Robert Anderson rea at sr.unh.edu
Tue Nov 12 16:42:27 EST 2019

The Premise HPC cluster is in need of a scheduled downtime for
reconfiguration, migration to the new storage, and general system
upgrades.  We hope that by scheduling a month out people can work
around these dates, and that Premise will be ready for the many jobs
expected during the long holiday break.

Our plan is to shutdown first thing Monday morning 12/16.  The main
upgrades will occur on Monday.  We will then work to migrate as much
data as possible from Lustre to the new BeeGFS storage.  We have moved
over the data multiple times, but it gets immediately stale with every
job output you run.

Given the size of the data storage on Premise there is little chance we
can complete all the migrations within a three day window.   We will
start with the smallest groups and  provide detailed status update for
the larger groups on the 18th.

You can help to complete the storage migration by:

1. Cleaning up anything currently stored on Premise that you do not
need.  This would be a great chance to ensure the 2nd copy of your data
is complete.

2. "STATIC" If you store a lot of data on Premise please let us know
the areas that we can copy now that will NOT have to be updated
later.  If you have any large  datasets that need to be moved but will
not change please provide the  path to them so we can copy them  in the
weeks before 12/14 and NOT attempt to update them during this short
window.  If in doubt provide the path, as we are not reformatting the
old storage immediately, so it will be available to us for awhile AFTER
this planned storage migration window.

3. "CRITICAL" On the other hand if you have critical area that you
really need, please provide the path(s) so that we can ensure it is
moved during the scheduled 3 day window.  This only makes sense if your
group has multiple TB of storage on Premise, smaller groups (<5TB) do
not need to specify their critical areas, since we will have time to
easily move your entire group area.

Please email question or responses to #2 "STATIC" & #3 "CRITICAL" above
to:  RCCOPS at sr.unh.edu

Thanks for your cooperation.
--
Robert Anderson <rea at sr.unh.edu>