NICL-SMO announcing Dr. Julie Palais Retirement

nicl-smo at lists.sr.unh.edu nicl-smo at lists.sr.unh.edu
Thu Nov 17 18:55:45 EST 2016

Dear Ice Core Colleagues,
(sorry for any cross posting)

Please see the message below from Dr. Julie Palais.  Julie has been the NSF Program Director for the National Ice Core Laboratory (NICL) for over 30 years. As working with Dr. Palais over most of those years as the Science Director of NICL, her insights and support has made the NICL the worlds premier ice core laboratory.  We wish her the best in future endeavors, and she will be greatly missed for her incredible science support of ice coring projects over the years at NSF which have drastically change the understanding of natural and anthropogenic climate changes along with her science discoveries prior to going to NSF.
Godspeed Julie.
Mark Twickler, Science Director, NICL

All,

After 38 years of involvement with the United States Antarctic Program (formerly the United States Antarctic Research Program-USARP) and 28 trips to the ice (23 of them as Program Director for the Antarctic Glaciology Program) (and 3 trips to Greenland when I also handled the Arctic Glaciology program), come December (December 31st to be exact) and 26.5 years at NSF, it is time to “hang up my mukluks”.  J

I’ve had one of the best careers (and best jobs) that anyone could have asked for. I have traveled to and seen parts of the world that few people get to see and I have been fortunate to have a fantastic group of scientists and students working on research funded by my program.  Things have changed a lot since I first started as a graduate student at The Ohio State University in the Fall of 1978 working under Dr. Ian Whillans (yes, the same Whillans who Whillans Ice Stream and the compound acronym WISSARD is named after). The photo of me on the attached slide is courtesy of my old friend Dr. Sam Mukasa- the new Dean of the School of Engineering at University of Minnesota.

I plan to be at NSF (or teleworking) until the end of the year at which point I will say good-bye.  After that I will be spending time following my passion which is the newly emerging field of animal welfare science. In December I expect to complete my program (with a Post-Graduate Certificate) in International Animal Welfare, Ethics and Law from the University of Edinburgh, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Medicine which is an online program which is now in its third or fourth year of existence. Exactly what I end up doing still is a plan in progress but I already have a long “to-do list” that will keep me busy.  I may even finally get that Paint Horse that I’ve always wanted. Stay tuned and stay in touch.  Thank you all for the memories!

Julie Palais