[Nessc] NESSC meeting 27 on the outer heliosphere and the interstellar interaction

Harald Kucharek Harald.Kucharek at unh.edu
Wed Nov 21 20:14:34 EST 2018

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your e-mail. I am very happy that you also find the idea of remote sensing the outer heliosheath with secondary
He ENA’s interesting. It is very good that this idea sparked discussions which, as we all know, are important in science.

Let me say a few words on the measurements. These IBEX maps are pixel maps that consist of 60 longitudinal and 30 latitudinal pixels. It takes
6 month for one map. It is true that the secondary ENAs are visible in a smaller angle range but we have good number of pixels with secondary measurements.
Every pixel is a measurements. So, these maps are not a “single point measurement”, in fact,  these maps are multi-point measurements.
In addition we have 8 energy steps so in principle we have 8 of these maps. Yes, for these measurements we only use the lower 3 energy steps. This, in addition,
increases the number of measurements by a factor of 3. Also, we can compare/combine measurements in any direction in the sky.

It is true that measurements alone will not give us the full picture, because these maps only show us the result of several physical processes generating these
ENA emissions measured by IBEX. At this point we do need theory and simulations to identify possible processes. In these simulations and theoretical consideration we
can control parameter for these processes and we might be able to identify dominant processes — including the flow field around the heliosphere. Indeed, we still
have a number of large parameters but comparing these models with observation we can limit the range of these parameters. So, these measurement can
be used for a “reality check” and the models —numerical or analytical— can provide us a better understanding of the global shape the heliosphere.

I do not favouring one model, and I am not trying to validate any model at this point. However, I do think can use model results and compare them with measurements to infer/limit the parameter range of the variables. Phil’s model is one of them.

I do agree that this is a complex problem, but I also think that with this effort we can make progress in this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any
information you might need.

Best regards and Happy Thanksgiving,
Harald