[Matgroup] Materials working group & June workshop

Hollen, Shawna Shawna.Hollen at unh.edu
Mon Mar 20 09:09:13 EDT 2017

Dear all,

Almost a year ago we had some lively conversations about how to start a more concerted interdisciplinary research effort at UNH. We held a number of meetings to discuss a MRSEC pre-proposal submission. In those meetings we determined there were two areas of focus on campus that would make for strong IRGs. IRG 1 was named “Controlling Surface Chemistry and Interfacial Interactions in Photoactive Materials” and IRG 2 was named “Controlling Interfaces and Defects to Tune Low-dimensional Materials.”

After we decided not to submit a MRSEC preproposal in this round, we made an effort to identify ways in which we can strengthen these groups. One of the suggestions was to host a workshop this Spring. We would hold it in Demeritt and invite colleagues from area schools who work in these (rather broadly defined) areas. A series of talks would be held the first day of the workshop, as well as a poster session for graduate students. The second day, we would invite everyone to a business meeting in a morning session to discuss how to move our efforts forward, now including groups from other area schools.

Now with the University wide CoRE program, we have an opportunity to apply for funds as an interdisciplinary working group to host this workshop.

Please share your thoughts by replying to this mailing list (which was created by Mark Milutinovich as one of the efforts to facilitate continuing conversations).

Please also share if you have conflicts June 9-10, which are the dates we are currently considering for the workshop.

Thank you,
Shawna

Shawna Hollen
Assistant Professor of Physics

Office: 603.862.3515

University of New Hampshire
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Department of Physics
DeMeritt Hall 331, 9 Library Way
Durham, NH 03824-3547
shawna.hollen at unh.edu<mailto:shawna.hollen at unh.edu>